Fish finder & GPS problems

artburr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Strangely, these unrelated instruments have similar problems. They both turn off frequently in use.

My fishfinder is a Humminbird Wide Panorama. I can get it fixed at the factory for $90 but purchased a new 141c color instead. Was this a bad move? The old one is dual beam and the new one is single beam. (Haven't installed it yet.) The 141c has a much smaller screen but in the demo in the store it is nice and bright.

My GPS is a Magellan Meridian Gold. It went on the fritz after I tried to use it with MapSend. The factory fixed it and sent it back for free but a few months later it is cutting out again. (I didn't try using MapSend again.) Any suggestions?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Fish finder & GPS problems

Many electronic devices will shut off if the voltage from the boat gets too high or too low, Art.

Check the voltage to them and compare it to the voltage range in the specs. Your problem(s) could simply be a regulator or rectifier in your engine..

artburr

Petty Officer 1st Class

JB said:
Many electronic devices will shut off if the voltage from the boat gets too high or too low, Art.

Check the voltage to them and compare it to the voltage range in the specs. Your problem(s) could simply be a regulator or rectifier in your engine..

artburr

Petty Officer 1st Class

artburr said:
JB said:

artburr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks JB. (I'll master this yet.) Will try to test the voltage.

Might be the problem with the GPS, too. I have been using rechargeable batteries. Someone said once not to use them.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Is the engine running when this happens? What make, year, and model engine are we talking aobut. If it's an engine without a voltage regulator, the charging voltage may go too high and certain electronics will shut off as they have overvoltage protection circuits built into them.

artburr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is the enjine running? Probably. I will try it w/o running the next time I have my boat out and see if the depth finder shuts off then.

1989 Nissan 40C. I have a service manual and can't find any reference to a voltage regulator. Don't accessories run diectly off the battery?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Certainly they run off the battery but the battery gets charged from the engine does it not? Some charging systems are voltage regulated and some are not. If yours is not, then charging voltage can go higher than the operating voltage threshold for your electronics and they shut down. If you have no charging system this is not an issue. But then you must have to charge the battery with a charger. Which way is it?

artburr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Silvertip: Yes my engine charges the battery but does not appear to have a voltage regulator so your thoughts may be pertinent but Elvin of Internet Outboards thinks that is more likely an intermittent diode in the depth finder. I will troll with my kicker for a while and see if that makes a difference. Thanks.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I would disagree. Diodes do not operate intermittently. They either work or they don't. If it is an intermittent problem but not related to overvoltage, the there is very likely an integrated circuit (IC for short) that has become temperature sensitive. If that's the case, the factory service center will have the only means to repair it. Parts are generally proprietary so you won't find them aftermarket. You would also not be able to troubleshoot it either as you don't have the logic diagrams or schematics.

artburr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Silvertip:

You appear very knowledgable. Based on this, I am inclined to install the new depth finder that I bought, and was considering taking back, rather than spending any more time or effort on the old one.

Thanks.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There certainly are a couple of things to do before returning the old locator. If you have a spare battery, take it with you and temporarily connect the locator to it. If it works normally, you now know its the boat electrical system that is causing the problem. You can also temporarily connect a voltmeter to the starting battery and then monitoring it while you make some medium and high speed runs. If voltage goes over 15 volts that again may be too high for the locator.