Fish/Depth Finder - Depth and Shallow Water Alarm Settings

anple

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello,
What would be good alarm settings for Depth and Shallow Water? I have a 17' runabout with 120hp outboard. Thanks - Anthony

cheejudo

Seaman
Re: Fish/Depth Finder - Depth and Shallow Water Alarm Settings

id put it for anything u feel uncomfortable in. mine set for 10 feet

Rick.

Captain

If the walleye are biting at 15 feet you can set it for 12 feet as a reminder (wake up) that you need to get back to deeper water. Again there is no correct answer to your question. Best of luck. Rick.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Again there is no correct answer to your question. Best of luck. Rick.

I disagree. The correct answer is "the depth that keeps you from running aground". :)

skargo

Banned

Mine is set at 3' I also set mine to read from the surface of the water.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Low water alarms are pretty useless. If you're moving at an speed and the alarm goes off, chances of recovery are not good.

If I'm in water that is shallow enough to be a concern, I'm off plane and watching the deep finder like a hawk.

cheejudo

Seaman

Low water alarms are pretty useless. If you're moving at an speed and the alarm goes off, chances of recovery are not good.

If I'm in water that is shallow enough to be a concern, I'm off plane and watching the deep finder like a hawk.

=]=]

emoney

Commander

I keep mine at 3', too, even though I can go a lot skinnier than that. I'm always searching for the sand bars, but it's the shelf that concerns me as the tide goes out. Having the sailing experience keeps you more cognizant of the shallows I think, or maybe it's paranoid of them. For cruising, and that's what I think you're talking about, I'd double the minimum draw. What I mean is, if you boat draws 18" of water, then I'd set the thing at 3'.