First Water Pump

Crestliner2007

Seaman Apprentice
2006 Yamaha 15 HP, 4-Stroke (EL). Bought the factory Service Manual and a full water pump replacement kit. The diagram in the "Lower Unit" section is exploded and fairly self explanatory. However, in speaking with some friends, they say that taking off the lower end and replacing it, can be tricky.

Is there anything I need to know besides removing the 4 lower case bolts? And is it a 2-man job to re-assemble the lower end back? Thanks for any help folks.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander
Re: First Water Pump

I'm not sure how your shift linkage is connected, but you'll need to disconnect that. Upon reassembly, make sure you properly align the water pick up tube and not to pinch the grommet. Make sure you grease the grommet to facilitate proper seating. Also, apply moly lube to the drive shaft splines, but not the top as to prevent a hydraulic situation preventing future removal.

If running in saltwater, you'll want to grease the LU bolts to prevent corrosion.

MAS

Crestliner2007

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Mas! The replacement went pretty straight forward, saving me over $100.00 in service costs at the marina!

One question though: When I tested it in a barrel, the water discharge worked just fine. However, this is the first time I've noticed two other discharges! I want to make sure I didn't do something wrong, so here's what I'm seeing:

Just above the second fin (the fin above the cavitation plate), I'm seeing a forward water discharge out of 2 holes there. I'm also seeing a second discharge below this fin, directed downward - again, out of 2 equally spaced holes.

This may be normal, but it's just something I've never noticed before. I want to make sure I didn't do something wrong with the water pump installation. Thanks for any additional input.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

No worries! Those are just drain holes to allow all water that is inside the leg to drain out while stored vertically...a very important feature in winter to prevent cracking the castings due to expansion of ice.

MAS