First time winterizing

250Gimp

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi All

Got the engine winterized today and thought I would check with you all on wether I got it all correct.

Boat is a 2006 Maxum 1800 SR3, Merc 4.3l MPI, Alpha 1.

Here is what I did in order: (stabilizer already in full tank)

- Change oil (didn't take as much as it was supposed to)
- Connect fogging mixture into fuel line
- Run motor for 5 minutes, as per manual (not much smoke, thought would be more)
- Change fuel filter
- Open single point drain to drain block and manifolds
- Take boat for trailer ride, aprox. 15km up hill and down, smooth and rough
- Put in antifreeze until comes out drain, and close drain
- Continue adding antifreeze until comes out upper drain and out drains in transom plate.

Next weekend I will change the outdrive oil and change the impeller.

I added the Anti freeze through a port at the top of the casting where the upper drain is. Seems to be the highest point, but I am now second guessing if this was the correct spot to fill from. Any thoughts?

Did I miss anything?

Thanks
CP

Brewman61

Ensign
Re: First time winterizing

I'm assuming you also changed the oil filter. You didn't specifically mention that in your list.

I don't get much smoke either, when fogging. I'm assuming that is normal, the oil gal mix is pretty high, someting like 10:1.

250Gimp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

THanks guys!

Bubba, I did read that list first.

My concern is where I filled with anti freeze from.

Thanks

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer

That whole single point drain stuff would scare me. You have no idea where the water is draining from, so you dont know if the water coming out is coming from both sides of the block or just one. I would want to see the water coming out of each drain plug myself and prob the holes. Pull the big hose off the circulating pump on the front of the engine. I actually just pull all of the hoses off and make sure they are all drained. Does the mercruiser intake manifold have a drain plug on it?

If you are 100% sure the block and manifolds are drained then dont worry about the antifreeze.

jtmarten

Master Chief Petty Officer

That whole single point drain stuff would scare me. You have no idea where the water is draining from, so you dont know if the water coming out is coming from both sides of the block or just one. I would want to see the water coming out of each drain plug myself and prob the holes. Pull the big hose off the circulating pump on the front of the engine. I actually just pull all of the hoses off and make sure they are all drained. Does the mercruiser intake manifold have a drain plug on it?

If you are 100% sure the block and manifolds are drained then dont worry about the antifreeze.

+1
I remove drain petcocks and use a small screwdriver to ensure they're clear to drain. I also pull the lower end of the hoses to make sure everything is drained. Then I tow her around a bit to shake everything out. No sense using antifreeze after all the water is out, unless you're planning on an extended layup.

250Gimp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Jeepster & JT

I thought about gong the "Air Won't Freeze" route, but chickened out at the last minute.

My engine bay is very very tight, so I don't really want to take th hoses off, as I have to disassemble the back seat to get at them.

I drove around a fair bit, so I am confident the lines are drained. NOw, hopefully, full of anti freeze.

Back to Brewman above, I did change the oil filter. I just assume you don't change one without the other.

Cheers

Bluestream

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why did you drive around with the boat on the trailer? I have never heard of that...

250Gimp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The merc manual actually suggests trailering the boat for a bit to make sure that all the water is out of the block, manifolds, hoses, etc. Of course, this is done with the drains open. ;)

Cheers

fossill

Chief Petty Officer

Boat (engine) has to be level longitudally and laterally to ensure all water drains out of the block when draining. I do it too to ensure that at some point it hits that level spot and anything left drains out. Maybe its overkill, but good for my peace of mind.