First Time tower for tubing tips

bedwards36426

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just bought a new Seadoo 2012 challenger 180 SE. I've been boating for years just never have been the person in control of the towing. I understand the dangers involved. And all me and my family are looking for is slow good fun. So the questions I have are for beginners what size line do I need 50', 60'? What's the best tubes for slower speeds like 15-20mph standard tubes or these flat lay down style. Being a jet boat should I use a shock tube or a flotation device by the stern to help with the line staying above water. And lastly do those tow balls really work the booster ball I think they call it. I'm sure I'll think of some more stuff later on. My boat does have a ski mode to set 6 different ramp speeds and I can manually adjust these speeds so as. Of to take off to hard or go faster than I wanted which is a really nice feature. Any tips are appreciated.

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: First Time tower for tubing tips

60' tow line made for tubes is what you should use. You won't likely need to use the booster ball contraption unless the line drags in the water spraying water in the tuber's face once under way. I prefer the delta-shaped tubes as they are less prone to tipping, but riding position is up to you. I prefer to be on my stomach or knees on a flat-top tube as opposed to riding "in" the center of a tube. I have ridden a few times in the tubes that have you sitting with your feet extended out from you, and they are fun, too. There's no reason to mess with any "speed settings". Just slowly give it throttle after taking the slack out of the rope until the tube and the boat are on plane. Keep the speed 30mph and below for most adults/teens, but 20mph or slower is just fine for the little ones.

For a jet boat especially, don't run over the rope.

Note: tubes with neoprene knuckle-guards and knee/elbow padding are well worth the money as it prevents the canvas cover from rubbing on your skin = much more enjoyable experience.

Samvq1

Seaman

For tow ropes, 60 feet seems to be the standard. I don't think I have ever seen one shorter or longer than that. I haven't looked really hard though. As far as tubes, my kids really like the flat tubes. I would stay away from the Obrien Whip. I think that is what it was called. The tube was great and we loved it. The stitching pulled out in less than six weeks on the front foil. It was not usable after that. Dicks Sporting Goods was very good about taking it back but it was a pain to have to do it. I would also recommend a bridal that attaches to the tie downs on the boat if you don't have a ski ring. It keeps an even pull. It has a float to keep the rope connector out of the water.

bedwards36426

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the tips guys. The ramp settings allow the operator to wot the boat and it will gradually take off to what setting you are in. I really like that because on my boat the throttle is very sensitive. It has a 255hp 18' boat it has a lot of torque out the whole. So the ski mode allows you to have more stable control of the throttle.

truckermatt

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have had a lay down style tube and it was fun for the kids, but I wanted to ride also, and after using it my neck sometimes hurt because of the position you layed and looked forward.

So last year we sold the tube, and got a Big Mable http://www.amazon.com/Kwik-Tek-53-2213-sportsstuff-Mable/dp/B000FPZSZW
We got it for $169 at a local store on sale.

If you only have one small person tubing at a time, then they have a 1 person Mable. other the big mable (2 person) is a great overall choice, and it tows easy and can be used from both tow points.

haulnazz15

Captain

Thanks for the tips guys. The ramp settings allow the operator to wot the boat and it will gradually take off to what setting you are in. I really like that because on my boat the throttle is very sensitive. It has a 255hp 18' boat it has a lot of torque out the whole. So the ski mode allows you to have more stable control of the throttle.

You can control the throttle with your hand just as easily. What you have is a poor-man's PerfectPass system, lol. I like having my hand on throttle so that I can modulate and/or cut the throttle should something occur, as opposed to just throwing it all the way forward and leaving it.

geneseo1911

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The tubing rope should be polypropylene, which floats on its own.

Don't know what age your kids are, but around 10 and up, especially boys, will want to be thrown off. A quick shot of throttle at the right time can be very effective...

imported_John o

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have had a lay down style tube and it was fun for the kids, but I wanted to ride also, and after using it my neck sometimes hurt because of the position you layed and looked forward.

So last year we sold the tube, and got a Big Mable http://www.amazon.com/Kwik-Tek-53-2213-sportsstuff-Mable/dp/B000FPZSZW
We got it for $169 at a local store on sale.

If you only have one small person tubing at a time, then they have a 1 person Mable. other the big mable (2 person) is a great overall choice, and it tows easy and can be used from both tow points.

We bought the Super Mable last year. 1 to 3 riders pulled either seated or chariot style. It also makes a great platform for the kids to dive off of or dive over when we're at anchor.

Also have a sportstuff Doable slalom jockey duo. It's a two person (front and back) steerable tube. I had one guy going backwards on it for a while last time out.

We've found that the "ride on" type tubes are far more comfortable than the "sit in" type tubes. While the sit in tubes give littler ones more confidence they are hard on the bottoms from the pounding on the water.

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Tube types
• Youngest riders (riding with parents or VERY SLOW solo) like stuff they sit down inside of (about any doughnut shaped tube with a floor)
• Teen riders prefer riding prone on flat-pancake type tubes - which because of their low-profile are actually possible to climb back onto for somewhat agile kids. (O'Brien Screamer can fit a couple of jr. high kids or one larger kid)
• Adults prefer the sit-on type with back rest (HO Formula 2 is one we have)

We nearly always tow multiple tubes. Best to use the same type so they slide and bump at the same rate, but the bumping action and back and forth social aspect is always a big hit. A couple of small tubes are also easier to transport than one super size. Equal length ropes is important. I've used 50' and 60' ropes. the 50's are a bit more responsive and easier for the driver to swing outside the wake. (50' ropes come from cutting 10' off of a 60' rope)

Your speed range is good. My biggest tip is to start slow. I would rather be accused of giving someone an old lady ride than frightening a newbie. Give them a short initial ride 2-3 minutes, stop and pull up along side the tubers and ask how it's going. Do they want to go faster? Do they like hitting waves? How about the "S" turns where the tube swings back and forth? Let the riders have a say and have some measure of control.

hibbert6

Petty Officer 1st Class

My 13 year old son has been tubing since he was about 7. It took 3 years of riding with his older cousin before he was comfortable with me swinging him outside the wake. Interesting...that was the same year his big brother took him to an amusement park and made him ride the roller coasters 3 times each - until he stopped crying. Cruel - but now he LOVES thrill rides. I imagine this summer will be his best tubing year, yet. And he said he MIGHT even try water skis... :)

Dave