First time out front heavy?

jvolpe28

Seaman
I have been putting a boat together 16 ft fiberglass MFG, and bought an 84 eninrude 9.9 (hp limited lake) recently purchased seperatly . Today I picked up my boat and motor from evinrude service getting a check up ,a gear lube and I had my remote controls adjusted properly and on the way home I couldnt help stopping by the local lake on the way home just to try my new walleye toy, 18 mph winds and white caps , but I had to try. I took no fishing tackle and it was just a test run . I was worried about the heavy boat being to slow with small hp but For a 9.9 the boat moved ok, but for some reason the boat seemed front heavy, maybe due to high wind and waves? The only thing up under there is lifejackets, Or maybe the boat was designed for a heavy hp outboard, a 115 came off the boat and a 9.9 went on. Maybe thats why it seemed front heavy. Anyway the boat passed my "rough water test" I took a 3 or 4 mile cruise and tryed my trolling speed, everything worked great, trying to load up was tricky, I discovered I need some new bunk boards, and worse yet there is 2 triangle wood blocks (carpeted) on the front of the trailer , 1 for each side of the boat, when I was winding her up the trailer I noticed These blocks were in the same place where I repaired a stress crack , after I got the boat loaded , I rocked the boat on the trailer, and sure enough right before my eyes the stress crach re-appeared right through marine-tex!! I decided these 1970's style wood blocks have to go! Do all trailers have those? :cool:

crab bait

Captain
Re: First time out front heavy?

that's good to hear that everything worked out an your reasonably happy with it .. agreed a 9.9 isn't goin' to be a rocket but you knew that .. far as bow heavy it's the motor can't lift itself on plane .. it's like a big gas powered transom mounted trollin' motor.. that marine tex is good stuff but you should always use glass cloth soaked epoxy on cracks then use the tex as spackel to hide the " weave" an sand smooth .. think of it a crack in a plaster wall .. just put on spackel it really not much surface area inside the crack( hardly none ) it's all surface an thin , which is nothing ,really..use spackel along with drywall tape bingo a filled hidden crack for life

D

DJ

JV,<br /><br />Yep, a 9.9's a bit lighter than a 115. I would just move as many things to the back as possible, battery, fuel tank, etc.<br /><br />MOST trailers do not have those. I would suggest replacing that set up with a roller. Shouldn't be hard to do.<br /><br />Crab Bait's right about Marine Tex. It's strong but it cannot stand up to that. If you can get to the inside, where the crack is, lay some f-glass mat in there with resin. That will hold the area.

jvolpe28

Seaman

Actually when I noticed the boat was a bit front heavy , the motor was not running!...my girlfriend did not notice the tilt, but I did. would you let this bother you? It's not for speed it's to load up on walleye and follow the 10 hp law comfortably...and well....slow hehe

jvolpe28

Seaman

DJOHNS do they make rollers for the side of the bow , i'm not talking about the bottom rollers, im talking about the "stop" blocks at the front of the trailer, upside down triangles ...of old carpeted wood! I figured the huge hp the previous owner had beat the boat up a bit, and I thought I wouldnt have to worry about more cracks becuase I retired the boat to a 9.9 . It's the trailer beating up the boat ! I think I would have to cut the floor up to get under there to look inside the hull , BUT I would love to have a peek down there !! :confused:

D

DJ

JV,<br /><br />Actually, that is when you would notice the light stern the most-at rest.<br /><br />I don't think it's a big problem as long as the bow does not want to plow or submarine. The plowing would play havoc with your ability to keep her on course and your fuel economy.