First time Impeller change Questions

Boater31

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,

I am changing my impeller for the first time and purchased the Quicksilver kit(817275Q05) you see below. I was expecting the kit to come with the one piece gasket(86683301) but came with the 3 pieces. I have the locating pins so I am not to concerned with that. I would like to know that the pieces are correct. The seal carrier bottom looks different then the Merc Manual (14) that I have but can find pictures of it in Quicksilver bags so must just be updated design. The small hole gasket I have is made of metal and not paper, it is also missing the material in the middle. I am guessing this isn't a problem because it seals on the edges but makes the use of Perfect Seal(Form-A-Gasket) a must. Am I correct in that logic or is it a wrong part. Also the O-ring bag has only 4 rings, 2 for connection tube, I think 1 is the quad ring for the oil gallery and the other must be drain plug o-ring. I was expecting 2 o-rings for vent and drain plugs. Do I just replace the drain plug ring or am I missing a part?

Thanks for your help I just wanted to make sure I have all the parts before jumping in the rabbit hole.
IMG_20170807_110159.jpg

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Its why I prefer Sierra
41srWfGXIsL.jpg

Boater31

Petty Officer 2nd Class
With the exception of the small hole gasket it looks the same. Still only 4 o-rings and the same looking seal carrier. Funny everyone says go OEM so I do and now aftermarket is better. Anyways am I correct in using prefect seal on the metal small hole gasket and what about the rings for the plugs, do I just do the drain and not vent.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Are you talking about the quad ring between the upper and lower? You can use some perfect seal (or a little 2-4-C) if you wish, not needed anywhere else. Replace the flat fiber washers for both the fill and vent. Make sure the old ones are not stuck in the hole.

Last edited:

Boater31

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am talking about using perfect seal on the small hole gasket under the plate. It is metal and not paper like everything else pictured. I only have one fiber washer that came in my kit so I have to reuse the vent one correct

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
OK no perfect seal is needed. It would only make it harder to service next time.