First time doing impeller job

snyman

Cadet
I have a 1983 alpha one outdrive. I did a impeller job on it and belivie i put the housing back on wrong. first i did not put it in drive is that the fist mistake? When i went to put it back on it did not want to go on right so i held the lower unit while my friend taped the key to get the gears to line up. Number 2 that was wrong to? Then i got it all put back together and started it up went to go put it in drive and the shifter was stiff and hard to put it in to drive when i did get it in drive it died. Do i have the gears in a bind or what did i do? Thanks Snyman

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: First time doing impeller job

I would venture a guess it was not put back together properly, the manual is available in the Adults Only section.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I can't imagine you assembled the lower unit wrong, so I assume you have the drive on the boat wrong with the shift foot in the wrong position.

You can corrct this problem fairly quick buy removing the drive, turning the shift foot so it is stright ahead and holding the prop in a couter-clockwise rotation. Also verify you have the boat shifter in forward. Observe the foot so it does not change position as you are putting it back in. You should have a simple fix if you did not break anything.

ken_23434

Petty Officer 1st Class

Problem #1 was you were not using the factory service manual. They are available for free in the DIY and Adults Only stickies at the top of the forum.

Gear shift needs to be in FWD, lower needs to be put in FWD, keep pressure on prop to keep it in FWD and put it all back together. Reference the service manual, though. Don S also posted a "how to" that had pages cut and pasted from the factory manual into one easy to follow document.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

first i did not put it in drive is that the fist mistake?

Mistake? Yes.

Was that your first mistake? Not enough information to tell. ;)

Did you remove the entire outdrive - or just the lower unit? That will help tell what you may have done wrong.

When i went to put it back on it did not want to go on right so i held the lower unit while my friend taped the key to get the gears to line up.

:eek:

At the very least, have your "friend" hold the outdrive in place while YOU tap the key.

Better yet, forget the key and next time, simply turn the prop as you install it to get the shaft lined up.

Bottom line - everything needs to be in forward gear as you assemble it. It makes it easier to install the lower to the upper, and it is required when you install the entire outdrive onto the boat.