First time Deer hunting

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander
Well this year will be my first time Deer hunting......Bow hunting to be exact. Now the ironic thing is that I am from Wisconsin where there are so many deer that you can see 10, 20 or sometimes 30 in a field and often times close to the City. I even have seen one running down the middle of the street in downtown Milwaukee. I always recieved so much free venison that I never even felt the need to hunt. ( sort of like I was on the venison welfare system) Well I have moved to Missouri and I have to get my own here I guess :) Deer are not as commen sp I will actully have to work for one.......Ok enough of me kidding.........I never even shot a bow until last week but it turns out Im a pretty good shot. At 20 yrds I can hit all bullseys and group my arrows within inches. I have hit my arrows a couple of times now. That made me feel a bit like Robin hood :) at 30yrds Im pretty good and hit about 2 out 3 in the bullseye and almost all in the kill zone. 40 yds well Im still working on that. Any way I cant remember that last time I was this excited about something and I have what some of you might know as buck fever somthing fierce. I would appretiate any ideas, pointers, stories, hints or websites that any of you guys might know of.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander
Re: First time Deer hunting

Be berry berry quite we are hunting wabb....Opps wrong species but quiet always helps :D <br /><br />Great fun but as for the advice, well I'm a third year novice myself.<br /><br />Good luck!

Realgun

Commander

Get a tree stand and put it over a deer run. tht way your up high and you can shoot down.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Practice shooting from your tree stand.<br />Wear a safety harness.<br /><br />Or...<br />get an old truck and drive the rural roads at night like I do.

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

just remember, when you're in a tree looking straight down, the deer always appear bigger. We shot a "Monster" one year....tracked it to the creek where we found out our "Monster" had just lost it's spots :D

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

number one rule is wind and your scent. set up on a runway, trail, etc.........but be very mindful of where the wind will be taking your scent. worst conditions are where you have a confused wind, blowing in random directions. in the rut the bucks will be somewhat less cautious.....

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

When are the bucks in rut......is it weather that controls this....like spawning and fishing?

one more cast

Captain

You will know when there in rut because thats when they get stupid. Its pretty hard to guess distance when in the woods. I suggest putting up some ribbons 10,20,30 yards from your stand as a guide. Also your best killing shot will be when the deer is quartering away from you.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

OMC I just read the ribbon idea soemwhere its a good idea. I am hunting on 88 privet acres with two friends. scouted it yesterday there is a corn field at the bottom of land two ponds a a couple of springs as well as a small river. Within 5 mins yesterday we scared up a deer. Didnt see much except the tail as it ran deeper in woods but I tell you what it got my blood boiling. All kinds of turkey there too. We found a couple of fresh scrapes, do you think that they may be starting the rut? or is that something they do all the time? PJC my friend has doe sent and stuff to cover our sent that he uses when he gun hunts. This will be his first yr bowhunting too though its his land we are hunting on. He gets many gun hunting so he knows alot about the trails and stuff there. Im going back out there Fri and I will be picking my spot. And I will keep wind in mind. 9 days till season opens Im so ready to go :) <br /> :D

all thumbs

Chief Petty Officer

Got to get alot closer for bow hunting. Play the wind, if hunting from a tree practice shooting from that position. Sounds like you never hunted before so read up on what to do after your kill. You might have to do a little tracking. Learn how to field dress properly, very important, you don't want to spoil the meat. Good luck , safe hunting and have fun :)

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Glad to hear that you have taken interest in "BOW HUNTING"!!! It's an exciting sport and makes the heart beat faster then gunning, watching a deer come from a hundred yards or so, hopeing that it will come within arrow range!!!<br /><br />Practice!! Practice!! to make humane kills!!!<br /><br />I use a real deer cover scent when bow hunting, if interested go to www.realscent.com ;) :cool:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Mike, I don't shoot them from the truck, I hit them with it.<br />Works especially well on dark foggy nights, and of course during the rut.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

HE HE Roscue I get it now...........All Thumbs Both the guys Im going with are experienced hunters and the one in particular is a excellent hunter who has provided me with the Bow arrows and Camo. They will teach me to field dress and track if need be. I cant get enough info to feed my inqusitive nature and iboats seems to me to be one of the best places to go with any questions I have ever had before. Once again I am enjoying hearing from all of the iboats people.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Is sitting in a tree stand hunting or waiting?<br /><br />I used to hunt the Black Hills in South Dakota. We hunted horseback. If you are hunting, try to go without scented perfumes or deoderants, unscented shampoo if possible, no fabric softener. Always walk into the wind slowly.<br /><br />If your climbing a tree and waiting the same rules apply. Scout your area a month or so before season. Go look at tracks and sign, sit under a tree at sunset and watch for the buck you want. Try to locate your stand on a trail from woods to feed like a field. Or from the food scource to water, these are the trails they will always take. Again use un-scented everything. Cabellas sells unscented hygene items including toothpaste and mouthwash for hunting deer, but I feel this is not necessary. Get some of the buck urine or other lures and spread around your area. Tie a ribbon (tampons work great) to a tree and cover in the lure. I have even seen people put this on their clothing. Store your hunting clothes in aplastic bag with wood chips, cedar if your in a cedar area pine if in a pine forest etc. Then change into the clothes after you get out of your car to eliminate scent.<br /><br />Scent and movement is the biggest giveaway to a deer. I have hunted a lot, and find it un neccessary to go full camo gear. I just wear my usual tan coveralls. Avoid white clothing or bright yellows oranges etc. These show movement too easy. If the deer are spooky I will use a green wool blanket (military surplus) to cover myself. Unless you have camo clothing or don't mind spending money.<br /><br />When you do go, don't get wrapped up in the kill. Do it for the sport and fun, that way you will not wreck your shot with adrenaline. I have sat and watched several deer and just decided not to shoot just from the enjoyment of sitting watching. <br /><br />Many disagree with my hunting approach. I have hunted on horseback, on foot, in stands, sitting under a tree, with bow and arrow, muzzle loader, and rifle. I have had good luck...never ended the season empty handed. Myself I like the old time back to basics approach our ancesters used. It is a lot funner than sitting in a tree waiting for one to come to me. Takes more skill sometimes. Decide which is best for you, hunting or waiting. (no offense to the waiters, I have done that too.) ;) <br /><br />Your going to have a great time with this I can tell.

txswinner

Banned

Best part is getting into the costume and putting on all the makeup!!

txswinner

Banned

Do NOT forget to pee on your hat and gloves to cover the scent.

JRJ

Commander

Originally posted by txswinner:<br /> Do NOT forget to pee on your hat and gloves to cover the scent.
Good grief :rolleyes: Every hunter knows to use female scent :p

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

m&r, it is very good that your friends are offering to hunt with you, and great that they have experience. i would recommend that you ask them to help you select several spots for your either tree stand or ground blind. this is due to changing wind directions day to day, and where the deers natural travel paths. this early in the year the rut has not yet started, but the bucks know it's coming and are more active, hanging with other bucks and doing the hierarchy deal establishing their areas. maybe some mock antler fights, etc. <br /><br />On my land I have one go to blind (raised and kinda roofed) that is situated for ideal wind conditions. If the wind is right I sit there. If the wind is wrong or confused and the weather is real ****ty I sit there as well 'cause I can stay longer while out of rain or wet snow. I have several ladder stand and ground blinds set up at other areas that account for deer runways and wind conditions.<br /><br />While I believe that human scent is the #1 turn away alarm to deer, you may never hear nor see the deer, but he scents you, it's guarantied you will never see that deer. I also agree that if deer detect motion that is not normal to them, you're busted. I have had deer that I knew did not scent me bust me just because I looked odd to them. Damn disappointing siting in a stand, see a deers poke their head out of an island of pines, look right at me and then they slink back into the pines not to be seen again. What a rush though.<br /><br />And just wait 'till some chickadee lands on a branch or your barrel if ya gun hunt! Or a communist (red squirrel) spies you and starts chewing your but letting the whole woods know you are there.<br /><br />And everybody knows that ya pee on your boots before going out in the am! (just kidding)