First time boater - advice

cstickman

Cadet
Hello I am new to the boating world. I have been around boats for most of my childhood. I am now an adult and would like to purchase my first boat! I am looking at a 24' bayliner ciera cruiser. I chose this one so we had plenty of room for my family and we had sleeping area for my small niece and nephews. Plus it is nice to have a kitchen and bathroom onboard. The more I am looking at them the more I am wondering is this to much boat for my first one? I am not sure how many of you use your boat on the chain of lakes in IL. That is where the boat would be stored. I have no idea what it would be to rent a slip or to store it in the winter. Any advice on my first boat and monthly costs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: First time boater - advice

I would say its a ton of boat to control for a person learning to control them.
I would also venture thats a pretty big boat for that chain which is busy with what I've been told can be shallow and narrow channels.
Probably $1500 for summer slip and $500 winter storage out there, facilities vary widely and I'm sure prices do as well.

Sounds like a lake Michigan boat.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

thats a good sized boat. not like a 24 ft open bow either. Its tall, wide, harder to see when maneuvering. I have had my 19 ft for about 5 years, one day i want to move up to the ciera or similar, maybe a 26 or so. something we can all spend the weekend on. i would start with something smaller on a trailer and see how much you use it, before you start shelling out dough for mooring/slip fees every month. just my opinion.

cstickman

Cadet

Thanks for the replies. I have actually been in a 36ft bayliner and drove it all the time. I am not worried about that part. I do agree that maybe I should start with a smaller boat, but I was thinking about the little ones that would be on. I do like the Lake Michigan idea and I never thought of it since I grew up by the chain of lakes. I will have to keep thinking about this. Thanks again for the replies!!