First Time Boat Buyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerrytwomey

Recruit
REINELL / BEACHCRAFT 170M

Hi my name is jerry im new here so plz bear with me!!! i am a first time buyer and lookin at this boat in a few hrs hoping to buy as my starter boat... im taking my mechanic with me to overlook everything unfortunatly we live about an hr from the lake but i havent asked him if that is a possibility. plz take a look at the link and tell me what yall think!!! thanx a bunch

Re: First Time Boat Buyer

Listen to your mechanic. Clean doesn't mean a thing if it's worn out. Buying used is always a risk, so don't spend any more than you can afford to lose. Hear it run or don't buy. Looks nice. Good Luck.

tpenfield

Staff member

Hi Jerry,

welcome to iBoats . . .

Hopefully your mechanic won't overlook too much :D

OMC Cobra is something to consider from a parts and service perspective. There are still quite a few of them around though.

A 1987 boat may have some structural rot going on, so hopefully you can check the transom, stringers, floor, etc. for soft spots, dark spots, cracks, etc.

If it has a new floor laid over an old floor, then that is often a red flag.

h2odick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

:welcome:

Ted nailed it.

OMC out of business, parts will be more expensive and harder to come by.
Again, as Ted mentioned it is an older boat. Expect rot. Its easy to be blinded by something you really want and have been lusting after. Take your time, check out everything. Soft spots would definitely be a red flag.

Otherwise, price is nice. Interior looks decent. But again, take a real close look, its very possible and likely this boat has some rot due to its age. Besides that, cool boat! If you're happy, bring 'er home and get out on the water!

Beachcrafter

Cadet
REINELL / BEACHCRAFT 170M

Hi my name is jerry im new here so plz bear with me!!! i am a first time buyer and lookin at this boat in a few hrs hoping to buy as my starter boat... im taking my mechanic with me to overlook everything unfortunatly we live about an hr from the lake but i havent asked him if that is a possibility. plz take a look at the link and tell me what yall think!!! thanx a bunch
So, does this mean that Reinell or Beachcraft 170M's are the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.