First start sanity check

Boater31

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I finally got around to pulling the boat out of its storage shed. I got the boat late 2016 and had it winterized right after I got possession. First start of 2017 season showed water coming into oil. Problem identified and corrected. (thanks batwing manifolds) Unfortunately due to life I only had the boat out on water once last year to test the new exhaust in August. September I winterized and it sat for the winter. I did pull the drive and stored it in my garage. Also did impeller, lube and general cleaning but all done to Merc book 14 Alpha 1 gen 2 specs. Torque, fluids etc. All OEM parts including 1 piece impeller plate. I also change the t-stat and gasket to 160 as 140 was in there.
Yesterday and today I aligned drive (took about 5/8 turn of adjustment nut in up direction) and finished greasing and oiling everything. Installed drive using bellows adhesive on rubber ring and 2-4-C for o-ring, also made sure o-ring was in place as I tightened drive to bell housing. So this leads me to my questions.

When I started the engine for first time on muffs, engine started immediately, I could hear water being pushed up from drive and knew when it hit the thermostat housing. I could also see the antifreeze being pushed out and could hear the change in the motor as everything got filled. Temp steadily come up to 160-165. about 1200 rpm. When I turned the ignition to off the temp stayed at 160. I am not sure if this is normal or what as I can't remember from last year. Also when water was on and both engine running and off, I notice that water was streaming out of hole D on the starboard side of drive and can't remember doing that last year.

Both can be normal and just never noticed it. The drive can also be because I cleaned it and is now working normal. Or i screwed it up and will be taking it back apart.

Thanks everyone.

Screenshot_20180509-231459.jpg

alldodge

Staff member
I see nothing abnormal in your findings. Hole D is a drain hole and the thermostat will stay warm until it has enough time to cool down, which will take a while. The block is full of 160 degree water and the thermostat trys to keep it at that temp

Boater31

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks AllDodge, I was hoping you said that. Like I said it was a sanity check to make sure I didn't screw something up with the impeller install. The gauge makes sense I just didn't remember if it was a analog style input reading the true temp with or without power, or like a cars where gauge is only reading with power on. Looks like I can finish my couple interior projects and finally do whats best for the boat on get on the water. :D

alldodge

Staff member
Don't see the temp on the thermostat being an issue, but your gauge should not be reading anything with power removed unless its a mechanical gauge, which I doubt.

If it is electrical, then power is not being removed, or the gauge needle my be hanging

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I've a temp gauge in my boat that when the key is off it stays where it read when running. Kinda weird. I always figured was a poltergeist specific to my boat. Might be a similar lil demon in Boater31's dash.

Boater31

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well then I'm going to go with a poltergeist or hanging needle. The boat has sat all night with battery disconnected and is still showing 160. Is this something to be concerned with and need troubleshooting, or do it let the spirits rest and assume it's right when motor is running

alldodge

Staff member
Get a IR temp gun to verify its reading close to correct when running, if it is go boating

Boater31

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm going with the poltergeist theory. I did tap it.

I just ran again on muffs and when I turned key to on, gauge went to zero, then slowly came up with temp to 162ish. Ir temp gun showed 158 to 160 on tsat housing where recirculation hose attaches. When I put boat away i turned key again and it went to 0. I'm gonna call it good and go boating. Thanks again.