first run after rebuild

tvpear12

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hi all, i have just taken my 1992 rude 90 horse v-4 crossflow out for the first time today. It seems to be running perfect with no signs of overheat. I was nervous about the t-stat issue as you probably read in earlier post. but all seems good. i had to mount the senders to the head cover as i had no place else to mount them. The gauge never got over 160 degrees. Is this normal? the head felt hot to the touch and could not hold hand on it for very long so i felt the water that was coming out of the exhaust relief ports and could hold my hand there all day if i wanted to. was just wondering about the position that i mounted the senders to, as the gasket that goes on the head cover is solid and does not let water get to the cover. what do you all think? How can the head be so hot but the water coming out of exhaust not be? the boat ran 5200 rmp at 45 mph. fully trimed. almost sounds like prop is slipping when fully trimed but its not that i can tell. prop size 13x19 engine mounted to a 1989 Tracker 1600TF tournament fiberglass hull. engine sitting on the transom. any sugestions?

D

DJ

Re: first run after rebuild

160 is on the hot side. About 145-155 would be normal.<br /><br />You are turning the engine too slow. It should turn 5500 (at least) at WOT. A 17" prop is probably a better bet.

tvpear12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

can some one show me a pic as to where i can drill the powerhead to get the temp senders in the water? dont want to buy new head gaskets just to pull the heads where i can see the water jackets.

tvpear12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If 160 is on the hot side what can be done to cool it down. it has new water deflecters and new waterpump kit new poppet valves and new stats. What else is there? I am starting to hate this crossflow engine. over a 1000.00 and running to warm, very disapointed here.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

First off if this is the first run after a rebuild are you doing the 10 hour break-in? You mentioned running it at 5200 rpm which is not as high as it shouold be but way to much for early in the break-in period. <br /><br />On the 160 - I would verify that temp before I got nervous with either temperature sticks or one of those new guns.<br /><br />I don't understand your post on drilling the powerhead to see the temp senders????

tvpear12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well the senders are mounted to the out side of head cover not in the water. the sender just reads surface temp. i question the accuracy of this reading as apossed to the sender being in the water. yes i am doing the break in but it says to oped to wot every once in a while for just a sec or two, thats how i new it was at 5200 rpm.

GatorMike

Ensign

Mine ran a little hot the first time I ran it too. I think I was probably the one who's previous post you read. I don't have an acurate reading on just how hot but I could only touch the cylinders for a second. I heated a cup of coffee to the temp that I could touch for about a second and it was 170 degrees. Anyway the next two times I ran it she ran much cooler. Don't know if the new T-stats were stuck or what. Crank her up again and see if she doesn't run a little cooler.