First ride in my boat, interesting experiance

Bartine

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just picked up an older Four Winns Freedom 170 fish and ski and got the motor hooked up and everything ready to go. We went to a small local lake today and everything was going well. Next thing while making a left turn at about 25mph the steering cable broke, sending the boat into a hard right turn. The kill switch stopped the motor as I was thrown into the passenger seat trying not to land on my daughter. I really thought the boat was going to flip.

This is a first for me. I've never had a cable break. This is on a rotory style steering system. Does this happen often, or was it just bad luck?

I was hoping karma was on my side, because not even 15 minutes earlier we towed a 8 foot log out of the lake before someone hit it.

Anyway, time to order a new cable. It kind of sucks because I need to remove the motor to gain enough clearance to take the cable out of tube on the motor. I just put the motor on 3 days ago.

Shife

Chief Petty Officer
Re: First ride in my boat, interesting experiance

Good on you for wearing the kill switch lanyard. A bad situation could have been much worse had you not.

Bartine

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm trying to figure out if I should replace the cable, or put on hydraulic steering. I don't want this to happen again.

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

New cable costs almost what whole new steering costs. Now's your chance to change it if you have a mind too. Guessing your boat is 17' from the model number, so it would seem hydraulic steering is somewhat over kill in extra complication and price. You could go again w/rotary steering or change over to rack & pinion, either of them with or without the no feedback option. Up to you and of course what will fit in the available space. I've gone to the no feedback steering and I really like it. Don't have to keep a tight hand on the wheel all of the time anymore, so far less tiring. Also, don't have to put straps on my outboard to keep it from flopping from side to side when trailering the boat as the steering prevents that now.

-- Jeff

zibzer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Similar thing happened to me in my 17.5 Peterborough.I bought a whole new steering system. I dontrecall itbeing really expensive, but it was relatively easy to install. They get rusted out and brake, I found though that a good wayto tell thatyou steering cable might brake is when you notice it starts to get tough to turn when the boatis in neutral. Once you start moving the steering wheel is usually always easy to turn. I wouldn't recomend goin hydraulic, as the price would likely not be worthwhile. Get a good teleflex steering kit and you'll have trouble free boating for many more years.

Bartine

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I went ahead and ordered the Uflex Accura cable system. Hope it doesn't break again, that was a really unnerving experience.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Where did the cable break?
In the steering head?

Bartine

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I haven't pulled the cable out yet, but I know it wasn't in the steering head. It was somewhere further back. I'll pull the cable out when I replace it and see what happened. I have to pull the motor off to change the cable because there isn't enough clearance to pull it out of the tilt tube without bending the shaft, and I don't want to leave the motor hanging for a couple of days, so I'll just do it all at once.

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Good on you for wearing the kill switch lanyard. A bad situation could have been much worse had you not.

A big +1. Glad you are OK.