First outing/ Trim, Tilt/ Rot.

Downforce6

Seaman
Well we had out first outing in the new (used) boat yesterday.

I thought it went pretty well overall. The boat ran great, Launching/trailering went fairly well but was nerve racking to say the least, busy ramp. I got the boat all ready before hitting the ramp but once in the water, I just moored up to the launching dock, I was nervous about the old lady pulling the trailer back up to the parking lot, and nervous about being able to maneuver around the dock to pick her back up. There were two boats in the water waiting, no one complained, (outloud, lol) I feel much better about the dock maneuvering now that I've done it once tho, still think I'll be nervous next time.

Trailering was the reverse, (u think?). I was happy to see no boats were at the dock when we got there, I started in a little early to avoid rush hour. Another boat came in pretty quick, but no worries, it's a four lane two dock ramp. So again I just pulled up and moored off, the old lady went to pick up the truck/trailer, seemed like it took forever. Boats start coming in from no-where, lol, I finally see her at the top of the ramp, but she can't get it backed down straight. I didnt wait long, gave her two tries (it was her first time too) and I just ran up the ramp and got in the truck and backed the trailer down. (going to have to take her to the high-school parking lot for practice.) Now there are 4-5 boats waiting in the water, I just unhooked from the dock hopped in the lake grabbed the bow line and pulled the 17' bowrider up on the trailer, and winched her up the rest of the way. Took no-time at all once the trailer was in the water, No one yelled "come-on man!", (wasn't hard to see we were rookies I'm sure). We will do better next time, I at least feel better about waiting for the trailer in the water so close to other boats, instead of tying off at the dock, I appreciated everyone patience, I suppose it was everyone's first at some point.

I had a little trouble figuring out the Trim/Tilt when cruising around the lake, seemed like I got it figured out at some point, the water behind us looked like I thought it should and the boat was maneuvering well, I need to do some research about this tho, any advice or good website links to point me in a good direction?

We found a cove, and time to set the Anchor. I had purchased an anchor kit, an 8lb pound danforth, 5' chain, and 100' feet rope from Bass pro the night before. I just assembled the shackles and zipped tied them shut for saftey, but when it came time to anchor down, couldnt get the rope unraveled. I had to unshackle the anchor, undo the rope, and re-shackle the anchor all while backing the boat away from the shore every 5 minutes. Again, nerve racking to say the least, and I'm sure we looked like idiots. But we got it anchored, we swam, we worked on our sun burns, we had lunch, we watched the other boats come in.. It was fantastic. I didn't let out a whole lot of rode, It isn't that deep there in the cove, and the wake, current was minimal. The anchor held but the stern swung quite a bit, luckily, nobody anchored close to us (wonder why, lol?). Think I'll mushroom the stern next time, keeping the bow pointed toward the wake/current.

Today, time to cleanup the boat and make sure everything is dry. So, what makes boats rot out? The obvious being out in the elements? I have a cover, but that's it for now. I have a detached 22'X34' garage, but do not really want to put the boat in there and take up all the working space. In the winter I will, or find another covered/garage storage solution, but for now she is just covered out in the elements. I'm going to wipe her down, make sure all the lines are dried out, and just a good overall cleaning, the boat has been well taken care of and I want to continue that. What else should I be doing? Any other advise, websites links? Staring to think hard about renting a storage unit close to the lake. Only about 45 minutes away, and at first I thought $1000 dollars a year to store a $3500 boat seemed unrealistic. I still kinda do, but not sure anymore. and consider, the boat gets great gas mileage. I filled it up before leaving town and boated around a couple hours, it barely moved off of full (3.0 I/O mercruiser,) The V8 Explorer, while towing, was another story. I shut the overdrive off while towing and i'm getting, maybe 11 MPG. It could be, storing the boat close to the lake will save enough money in Explorer gas to make it worth while, but I prefer to keep the boat close so I can play with it. I need to come up with a solution here.

Overall, I think it was a pretty good first outing for a family with almost zero boating exp. I am hooked for sure.

Thanks again for all the advice and resources I have found here!

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral
Re: First outing/ Trim, Tilt/ Rot.

Yeah I'm with Bubba, my wife can't back the truck and trailer to save her life but by god she has launching and loading the boat down, I mean she make me look stupid when I try it. I used to leave the trailer out a little bit thinking if she came in hot it would help her a little bit only to get my butt chewed because I didn't pull in far enough, but were also on the same page now she knows when the wind is cross to the ramp I will set the trailer for her to carry a little more speed, otherwise she brings the boat in so easy we commonly hear others at the ramp whining to their spouses about how good my wife is.

Don't sweat the rookie stuff, your well on your way, and to be honest we all have rookie moments, there is a pretty defined line between rookie/newbie and stupidity, I think you and your crew showed that you are quickly becoming seasoned boaters.

catfishcarl99

Senior Chief Petty Officer

ya i back in, climb in boat and unload. take to dock and go back and park. all myself. if my cousin is with me he does the truck. hes got a boat too. buy having the wife back it in? no way. only takes me 3-4 min to unload and 3-4 min to load up and go. even alone. my boat loads itsself really. no sweat at all.

as stated before. store it bow up plug out so water NEVER sits in it for any length of time. even covered in case theres a leak in cover thats not noticed.

Downforce6

Seaman

Those are great tips man, thanks!

I also hope to find a little less used dock. This is one of only two 4 lane I believe, I thought because of it's far vicinity to the Dam and most of the campgrounds, it might be quiet. Fail.

Trooper583

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like you had a blast on your first time out! That's really what it's all about and getting proficient at all those things you struggled with this time is part of the fun!

If you can't find a dock that isn't busy, remember you can always go out and find a channel marker or buoy to practice on. You an get a pretty good feel for how the boat handles by simulating docking next to one of these.

I finally decided about two years ago that it was time for my wife to learn how to back the trailer down the ramp. I knew it would save a TON of time. I honestly thought it would take forever and I might end up abandoning the idea before i succeeded. My wife is not one that particularly picks things up like this very fast. My wife is now a pro at it! She can put the trailer for our 21 foot bow rider right in between vehicles on either side and it didn't take long at all to teach her. Besides speeding things up big time, she gets a kick out of watching the reactions of the other women who stand by and let their husbands do all the work. It really is a source of pride for her. Best of luck!