First ever overnighter: Cape Lookout NC camping/astronomy

jumpjets

Petty Officer 1st Class
http://www.nps.gov/calo/planyourvisit/boating.htm

WARNING: I'm still a novice boater. I've only owned a boat for a few months.

I'd like to do an overnight camping trip to Cape lookout NC. Ideally, I'd like to drop my boat in at a ramp in Moorehead or Beaufort NC, and head out to the cape on my boat, then anchor on the beach and spend the night. I'm bringing a high powered telescope, so my plan is to head out in the late afternoon, be all setup before sunset, and spend most of the night looking at stars and nebulas. I'd like to sleep in the boat when I finally get tired, and leave the next morning. The light pollution there is some of the lowest in the region:

http://www.jshine.net/astronomy/dar...65625&zoom=10&pollution=true&selected_id=1083

An experienced friend of mine is going to take me to cape lookout on his boat very soon, and show me the way, since the waters there are very challenging. However, when I go for the overnight trip, I'd like to end up on the southside tip of the banks. Is that possible due to the surf? Do I need to stay on the northern area, near lookout bight?

What other considerations are there for boat camping? OBTW, my wife is coming, and while she likes astronomy, she doesn't like camping.

-boat has a toilet
-all food/drinks will be brought in a cooler.
-lots of bug spray will be brought, along with citronelly candles.
-pillows/blankets for sleeping in the cuddy cabin.
-full 50 gallon fuel tank on the boat prior to departure.
-tool kit on board.
-all lights, pumps, and other equip are in good working order.
-emergency battery jumper will be on board.
-cell phone reception is available on the island.
-what else can you think of?

Here is the boat I'll be on. It has a merc 5.7 alpha 1.
27298345465.jpg

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: First ever overnighter: Cape Lookout NC camping/astronomy

First is always the best, LOL!!!!!

Ok the only things I am not seeing is a bimmini, just something to keep you out of the sun, or rain.
And if you have the need to play music use the lights in the cuddy, or just plugging any 12VDC device in, find a spot for a second "camping" battery with a perko switch.

PS, I was hopeing to get a clear night up here in the interier of BC Canada and see if I could see any northern lights due to the mass coronall ejection the other day, no luck though.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: First ever overnighter: Cape Lookout NC camping/astronomy

Make sure that whereever you dock/anchor, there will be plenty of water beneath the boat when you're ready to leave (don't let the tide strand you).
If anchored in the river bottom/soft sand, make sure you play out enough chain/rode to assure that your anchor won't drag should the tide change of weather conditions worsen. You should have at least 10' of chain on your anchor line. 7:1 scope is normal when anchoring and not having an anchor watch.
Your anchor light won't burn a lot of battery juice, but add a radio/fan with it and you might be in trouble. Good thing you have a jump box with you.
Your first night, you will probably be up 10 times checking your surroundings to make sure that the boat isn't drifting. That's normal. You'll get past that.

Have a blast. Boat camping will change your life if you do it right.