First boat

travbl

Seaman
I am looking to buy my first boat and I want a 19-21 ft bow rider. I recently put a deposit down on a 2005 Mariah sx 20 with a rebuilt jasper crate engine, the price is 15500. I may have rushed into it. Can anyone give me advice, I plan on using it on lakes and also simple bay running in the delaware, maryland bays. Thanks

donnyskz1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: First boat

What Is The Reason For The New Engine? I Dont Think I Would Pay That Much For The Boat. Did You Check On Nada To See What The Value Should Be? It Also Depends On The Condition Of The Boat And How Well It Was Cared For.

travbl

Seaman

it is immaculate, they said it was winterized incorrectly

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

What motor is it? If well powered that price doesn't seem too bad.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Not the answer I was looking for :( A 4.3 is pretty much the minimum you'd want in that size boat. It will still perform decently but that's not much of a deal in THIS economy. Just my opinion though.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i agree with NADA, or lower in this economy.
Base Price
$11,140 $12,690 this is with 5.0L V8

Reported Engine Range: 136 - 200 HP (3.0L - 4.3L)
Total adjustment for your engine(s): Deduct $1,010

TOTAL PRICE $10,130 $11,680 with the 4.3L V 6

ronnieb09

Seaman Apprentice

From my experience I wouldn't touch anything with a reman. Jasper engine, I've seen some very poor quality work from them and other reman. companies.

Course that's just an opinion.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

From my experience I wouldn't touch anything with a reman. Jasper engine, I've seen some very poor quality work from them and other reman. companies.

Course that's just an opinion.

I have a Jasper engine in my truck. Good luck with it thus far. (can't say the same for the idiots that installed it). I did as much research as humanly possible before deciding on a Jaspar and was very frustrated. No matter what remanufacturer you are talking about there were fanatics and haters. Jaspar has a good warranty.

thepotroast

Petty Officer 3rd Class

As TD posted above, that boat books at $11k. You are overpaying by a lot at 15k. A fair offer would be 10k, and that's assuming a favorable nod from a marine mechanic, all of the paperwork is in order and that it comes with a good trailer.

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Is the 4.3 fuel injected? If it is then it should perform well, though the price seems a little high. I have a 2006 Mariah SX20 with the 5.0 fuelie and it has a lot of punch.

Tabes117

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would look for something witha larger engine. Gas, family, friends, equipment all add weight. Look for something with at least a 5.0. I had a 20 foot bowrider with a 5.0 merc and was happy with that combo. Until I got two foot itish...........

travbl

Seaman

I do not believe so, I will have to ask, I put 500 down on it but didn't sign anything, I am going to call them and discuss the price again and bring up the NADA thing and the fact that they say nothing else comes with the boat and see what they say. I better be able to get the $500 back or else I'm going up there and driving it and saying I do not like the way it rides.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

A "rebuilt" engine or whatever may be nice IF the boat was older but a 3-4 year old boat? I'd be nervous as to why selling after doing that expensive job?

$10K is way low, but I'd just go find another boat if it were me. There are SO many out there in that price range.

travbl

Seaman

I was told it was winterized wrong and it cracked the block so they put the jasper in it.

thepotroast

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You're in the Delaware/MD area by the looks of your original post. Here's some boats I found under 15k that may be what you're looking for. All with V8's....

99 Searay 210BR with 5.0 Merc $14500
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/boa/1081152807.html

Maxum 2300SR with 7.4 Merc $11000
http://easternshore.craigslist.org/boa/1065507144.html

02 Starcraft 23' with 5.7 Volvo Penta $14900
http://easternshore.craigslist.org/boa/1059485427.html

There are many more options of course, but I would definitely look into a V8 for that size bowrider that you're wanting.

chiefalen

Captain

Ok most states allow a 3 day cooling off period from the time you purchase something.

So you can by law in most states go back and get your money back,also it should state it on your receipt. There should have been a sign in the dealership also stating how long you have in that state to recind the transaction.

Me today right now, i would go back and get the money back. And if they say no, stop the check, make notes of who you spoke to, and make sure they see you doing it, get the name of the person who said no.

NY i believe it's 15 days. Md i don't know maybe someone else does.

Now today in this economy and the amount of boats on the market you can get a mush better deal, on a 2 year old boat just look on ebay, want to come up to Jersy they are lined up take your pick.

Sorry to say this was a bad deal, next time ask before you lay your money down, TD will give it to your straight, believe me he won't make a cent on any boat you buy.

Good luck let us know how you make out.