First boat!!!

AZ_Ron

Seaman Apprentice
We finally bought our first boat.
1972 Glencoe 17.5' Open Bow I/O.
Ford 302/Volvo 280

Beautiful shape for the age. Engine is sound, gone through recently. EVERYTHING works. Hull is good, floor is good, upholstery is excellent. Very well taken care of. This will be a learning experience for me. The family (wife, son, 3 daughters) are all stoked!
Anyone have any advice/tips on this engine/outdrive , or any advice in general, anything is appreciated!!! A bit nervous, but I'm a competent mechanic and tinkerer and have always had a love for all things mechanical!

Ron

Zackman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: First boat!!!

We finally bought our first boat.
The family (wife, son, 3 daughters) are all stoked!

Hmmm, wonder why the whole family is stoked? Could it because Dad is so excited?

Anyone have any advice/tips on this engine/outdrive , or any advice in general, anything is appreciated!!! A bit nervous, but I'm a competent mechanic and tinkerer and have always had a love for all things mechanical!

Put her in the water and make sure she floats before the wife and kids get in... Seriously, take it out for a while and make sure no water is getting into the bilge and that everything is working okay and that you feel comfortable with the boat before introducing the family factor. Maybe get a buddy to help you launch for the first time and check everything out.

There are also some good online boat safety courses available for the novice boat owner. Always good to know the rules of the "road" before getting underway.

Good luck, be safe, and have fun...

AZ_Ron

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Zackman!! I think the wife is the MOST excited. Kids are excited we'll be able to tow them!
I tend to be pretty cautious and will make sure things are good before I put the family in it.
I need to find a depth finder... I think that's really the only thing missing from her. I don't plan on doing much fishing, but would love to have a recommendation on a good one...

Thanks!!

Ron

Coors

Captain

Congrats. Buy the factory manuals, clymer and seloc suck.

AZ_Ron

Seaman Apprentice

I got a Clymers manual for the Outdrive. I'm thinking that there isn't any book available on the boat itself. I haven't found anything on Glencoe's. The boat seems to be very well built. I would never have guessed it was a '72. Is there a Volvo manual available for the 280 outdrive? I can pick up a manual for the Ford 302. I'm used to Small Block Chevy's, but this is pretty much all the same. A few differences for marine use though.

Ron

vandy21

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've heard that those hummingbird piranha fish/depth finders are pretty good for the money. You can also buy them from Dicks sporting goods or wal-mart

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer

What part of AZ, and what lakes will you being going to?

Lake Pleasant is sponsoring a big boat safety day next Saturday (5/19) that should be good.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

The Humminbird 535 does a great job for the money.
Congrats on the new boat!
Check ebay for manuals too....:D

AZ_Ron

Seaman Apprentice

We live in Tempe, and with the Loop101 and I-17, Lake Pleasant is just over an hour away. A big benefit of Pleasant is the RV camping they offer as we have a 34' RV. Should make the weekend camping a LOT more fun!!
We haven't taken possession of the boat yet... two weeks. Do you need to have your boat on hand for the session at Pleasant on Saturday?

Thanks for the warm welcome folks!!!

Ron

rogerwa

Commander

Get yourself some of the outdrive muffs and make sure it runs fine inthe driveway before taking it out to the lake..

Make sure to check the plug before dipping it.

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer

Do you need to have your boat on hand for the session at Pleasant on Saturday?

I don't know the details of this weekends event, it was just mentioned in print on my park pass when I paid the park fee last weekend. I think MCSO and AZ Fish & Game are offering free safety inspections, but you would want possession of your boat to participate.

FYI - For now stay away from Bartlett. Went there a month ago and the ramp was closed due to low water. You could still launch from the dirt, but my brother-in-law tore up a prop real good in some shallow water where he launched. Pleasant is about 90% of capacity, so conditions are real good their. You can monitor the local lake levels at:

http://www.azgfd.gov/h_f/edits/lake_levels.shtml

Enjoy!

Last edited:

AZ_Ron

Seaman Apprentice

Cool, thanks for the info. I spoke with a buddy of mine who is an avid Bass fisherman... he's been boating for over 20 years now, on an almost weekly basis. He agreed to come out with us first time to kind of 'hold my hand'... ;)

Ron

billygull

Cadet

Congrats of the new boat!

Billy

Last edited by a moderator: