First Boat Questions (Boat Power & Trim)

I just got my first boat and am trying to learn to work on it myself. It is a 1989 19.5" Arriva Speed Boat with a 1989 125 Force outboard motor with a 13 x 17 stainless steel prop. When we first got it it had top speed a little over 30, now it has slowed to about 24. I have changed the plugs and sprayed Sea Foam Deep Creep in the carbs, and that didn't do anything. I just bought a compression gauge and am goin to check the compression. Would you have any tips for me to check out? also would you know about what the normal speed the boats top end should be (I was reading a forum and it sounded like a guy with the same motor and boat size was goin over 40, I would love it if mine could attain such greatness)?<br />I have muffs to work on it but they make me nervous because it sounds different and does not squirt hardly any water out the water exhaust holes, is that normal?<br /><br />Another question on the power tilt/trim, I got the motor running but I dont think the lines are hooked up right (off the motor). Theres one line that comes into the bottom, and three on the side, but the side has spots for four lines. Just wondering which opening isnt used and if its supposed to be capped off? My Clymers manual shows my trim motor and the three lines coming in the side, but says nothing of the extra opening.<br /><br />Thanks Alot, Chris

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: First Boat Questions (Boat Power & Trim)

Compression check is a good place to start. <br />Then check your plugs, make sure they all look the same, don't want any clean ones, or any that are caked up with carbon.<br /><br />Check for spark on all plugs, and gas to each cylinder.<br /><br />The waterpumps on these motors don't work very well on muffs, as it is hard to get the pump primed. It is best to put it in a tank.<br />I got one from Fleet Farm for $50. 2' wide x 4' long. It comes in handy for other things too. <br />Don't try using a garbage can on a motor this size.<br /><br />To use the Deep Creep effectively, you have to do a thorough decarb. It should definitely clean some black crud out of the engine. <br /><br />It will not however, clean your carbs.<br />OK, here is how you decarb the motor, it takes some time, but is easy.<br /><br />Your intent is REMOVE the existing carbon buildup from the cylinders, heads, and rings, a spray decarb solvent product, such as SeaFoam Deep Creep, is needed. Some people use one can per cylinder.<br /><br />Run engine at fast idle, with engine running, slowly spray liberal amount into each carb, its gonna smoke up the place,<br />spray some more for a minute or two, now spray a larger amount into carbs until engine chokes out and stops.<br />Remove spark plugs and spray decarb liberally into each cylinder, install the spark plugs, let it soak for 3 to 10 hours. <br />Start the engine and run at medium throttle, or if at the lake, run it at full throttle. It won't hurt to spray some more through the carbs. Run it for atleast 10 minutes to flush the crud out of your engine. Now remove and clean, or replace the spark plugs. <br /><br />It works well to do the spraying, the night before you go to the lake. This way you can let it soak overnight, and really flush it out at the lake.<br /><br />Don't do this in front of the garage door or the house, unless you want it coated with greasy crud.

Thanks Roscoe I will try out your info.<br />I am also pleased to announce I got the power trim/tilt working....man I love it when things actually work out.

I scored the Fleet Farm bucket and checked the compression: 1(assuming 1 is the top)-162 2-159 3- 149 4- 139<br />The engine would not stay running when I had the pulled the 3rd plug out, but would on the rest of them, is that something I should worry about? <br />Theres spark at all plugs I could barely pull the leads off with gloves on cause I kept getting shocked, that normal?<br />Im gonna do the full decarb this weekend.<br />Is there anything else I can do? <br /><br />Thanks

D

DJ

da,<br /><br />The decarb is a good idea. That might even out your cylinder compression readings.<br /><br />If you have one or more cylinders that aren't pulling their weight, that will slow it down-considerably. Since you have spark, I think carb. rebuilds/cleaning are in order.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Pull the safety lanyard kill switch. Put on fast idle and try to start engine for 10 seconds.<br />Then remove the spark plugs. You should be able to see and smell the gas on the plug.