First Boat!! 1972 SS165 I4 Duel Carter RBS.... some questions!

Joeshow

Petty Officer 3rd Class
hi,

boat sat for 2 years, engine was slightly seized, freed it up with some atf fluid in the cylanders. cleaned up the trim motor, then it worked. everything is working. get it in the water, stalls if ya give her any gas, idles in drive and reverse, slowly get to give her more rpm's and speed!!! in till i notice the engine is lifting 4" on the right side!!!! so i'm thinking of cutting just enough fiber glass out so i can slide a piece of metal like a 12"X6" under the engine mount and bolt her to the engine mount. do you think that will do the trick??!!

another thing is she gets hot pretty quick, it was spitting water out the back at first, but seemed to get less and less, so i need to investigate, i really needa manual for this engine and out drive, i dont know where to find one....

oh and should the sump pump be in the verry bottom of this thing? should i cut a hole so i can sit the pump lower??

hope yas can help!!!! shes a sweet boat!!!! i'll post pictures later!!!

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: First Boat!! 1972 SS165 I4 Duel Carter RBS.... some questions!

till i notice the engine is lifting 4" on the right side!!!! so i'm thinking of cutting just enough fiber glass out so i can slide a piece of metal like a 12"X6" under the engine mount and bolt her to the engine mount.
I wouldn't - the reason your drive system is nicknamed a "stringer", is because it does not push the transom of the boat like a Mercruiser, Volvo or even an outboard...
100% of your engine's power is transferred to the hull through the stringers of the boat. If one of yours is rotten, the risk is the engine accelerating forward- this then rips the transom boot, and of course no bilge pump on earth can keep up with that.

should i cut a hole so i can sit the pump lower??
I have done that on about 10 Grew/Slickcrafts over the years....even my little SS140 was like that. I do not understand that double floor nonsense.... I always saw that part out.
Here's my 1969 SS175 - I used s 5" holesaw to make a bilge pump sump.
Lee010b.jpg

Joeshow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

wow!! lol thank you!!!!! stringer, i'll keep that in mind while re securing them engine mounts!!!

how much work would it be to swap a mercruiser in? other then rebuilding the transom?

and yeah, the sump issue is crazzy, why wouldnt Slickcraft have thought of that? lol

i like how you have seats right beside the engine! :)

oh would you know the oil capacities for the outdrive? approximates? i grabbed 1L of type C and 2L of SAE90.... also, would it be safe to check the oil levels with the outdrive trimmed up?

i Thank you again, you have been a tonne of help!!

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

how much work would it be to swap a mercruiser in? other then rebuilding the transom?

steering needs to change right up to and including the steering wheel
shift/throttle control
electrical - gauges etc.
need all the Merc parts - prop to flywheel housing including power trim system

be way cheaper to buy a complete Merc powered boat with a frozen cracked 2.5 or 3.0 and throw your engine block in it

Joeshow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok, ill exchange that oil today!

LOL that much work eh!

The boat is about 10 doors up river, thinking of bringing her home tonight and have a look at the engine mounting points! I'm hopping its not too rotten... I have fiber glass, wood and metal, I'm sure I can secure her engine down safely!

THanks again!