firing please help

boone68

Cadet
I have a 1998 120 motor and the number 2cylinder is not fireing right you can take the plug wire off while its running and it make no change in the motor running either the fire its hot a enough or what ever the motor its doing i have repacled the head gasket and the exhaust plate gaskets. what else could it be

devl

Seaman
Re: firing please help

Im no expert but seeing as how no one else answered Ill tell you what I did. I had the same issue but it was #1 cylinder so I switched coils and it still wouldnt fire.....so then I switched CDI boxes and it fired #1 but not #3 so I knew it was the CDI. Replaced that and now all 3 fire.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Well, the 1998 has a CDM ignition (no cd or cdi modules),.

I would swap 2 of the cdm coil units, and see if the problem goes to that cylinder.

If it does, replace that cdm.

Before you mess around too much, you might want to pick up a Clymer repair manual.

boone68

Cadet

i repalces two of the cdm modules i found today that there was a milky looking stuff on the back of the plug when ik put the new head gasket on i didn't see any visiable cracks or any damage to the cylinder wall could there be water in the gas could a carb cause the problem iam havin o by the way i have 155 psi compression on each cylinder thank for any suggestions