Fireman's boot's {Is it a local thing?}

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant
Our local fire departmant is doing fund raising for the hurricane victim's. Today they drove a rig to a busy intersection here in town and put on thier firepants, boots and helmuts on and grabbed a empty boot and got in the intersection and asked for money to "Fill the boot". Does the fire dept. in your area do it or is a local thing.......

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Fireman's boot's {Is it a local thing?}

They do that here too. I don't know why??

Ralph 123

Captain

My police dept does it along with the High School. They set up a toll road and block the main street into town. I don't mind fund drives but I HATE that one because they create a major traffic jam on a busy major road on usually a Saturday.

mrloring

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am a volunteer fire fighter and yes I have participated in the "boot drives". The last one we did was for Sept. 11th, we are in a rural area and went to a neighboring community for the boot drive. Most fire departments receive very little gov't funding(at least in my area) and must raise money through various fund raisers(bingo, ticket sales, hall rentals, boot drives). We spend more on insurance in one year than we get from gov't funding. Volunteer fire fighting is 90% fund raising - 5% training - 5% fire fighting.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Of course, but what's the signifigance of the boot?

Homerr

Commander

Yep... They do it here all the time.<br /><br />It was for the MDA (musular distrophy) this time.<br /><br />I always pitch in.<br /><br />H.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by CalicoKid:<br /> Of course, but what's the signifigance of the boot?
cant get as much in a hat or a glove. Ever tried dumping change out of a fire hose? Me neither, and dont wanna try. :D

mrloring

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by CalicoKid:<br /> Of course, but what's the signifigance of the boot?
because coffee cans are for cheerleaders and boy scouts <br />and <br />you get in trouble when you ask them to put the money in your fire pants. :D :D :D

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

mrloring, you dept has to think bigger.<br />Ours raffled off a nice boat, an atv, and I think a snowmobile.

one more cast

Captain

Our local volunteer fire dept. (covers 3 towns)sets up a road block every year near the station and hold out the boot.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

we get it here, too.

mrloring

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Roscoe we do very well with our bingo. We also have a "cash bash" twice a year. We normally do raffles on cash, too many people biatch about the prize. Ex. Its a Chevy, Ford, Dodge, Harley, Honda, Suzuki, wrong color, would never use it.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

We have boot-fest as well. They give us stickers so we can put the sticker on the car and not get hit up at the next intersection (they have boot sites all over town).

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Our local fire department has done it for years, it's always been a charity thing!!! ;) :cool:

KRS

Banned

No one in their right mind wants to steal a fireman's boot WHEW!!! So, it's really a safety thing:)