Firearms aboard boats

sunaj

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,
I have seen signal devices that use special shells for use with guns, which leads me to wonder what the laws are re: guns stored on boats with ammo, if you have info re: inland and at sea please share thanks:)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Firearms aboard boats

check cal law. each state is different.

ksubigbuck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As far as I'm concerned the 2nd Amendment grants me the right to have a gun in my home, boat, car, or on my person.

And just so you all know...it's entirely legal in every state and offshore. Ever heard of duck hunting? Lots of it done out of boats...ocean, lake, river, marsh...you name it.

I say go for it...you can fire a 12 guage flare from any 12 bore shotgun.

sunaj

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I totally agree on the 2nd amendment right to do so, I just want to know if I have to hide it when I go out:) It really is suprising with all these pansy soccer mom puritanical safety laws that there isn't heavy handed laws on the subject

ksubigbuck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don't try to hide it if an officer boards the boat...but it is perfectly legal to stash it somewhere, or you can mount it in plain sight if you want.

TheWoodCrafter

Chief Petty Officer

I think it's legal for a rifle but not a hand gun.

Anyone ever hear of a hunting boat?
I like that.

Ron-O

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Since I have my CCW, I carry my 357 with me at all times, boat or not...

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

explain the legality of any firearm on the boat if stopped by a wildlife officer in nc near a bear refuge...

With a concealed carry permit, would probably be easier to have a handgun and get by... rifle and you're very likely in deep you know what...

Scout Sport Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Luckily we live in a country (USA) where suspiscion alone isnt enough to lead to arrest or fine.

ovrrdrive

Petty Officer 1st Class

Having a CCW doesn't give you the right to carry everywhere all the time. Know the laws...

Even with a permit if you go into the woods with your firearm out of hunting season your *** will be grass if you get caught. It's best to just go ask the local law enforcement what they consider legal in situations where you're unsure. Getting advice about stuff like this from an internet forum can be hazardous to your health. ;)

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

This topic was hashed out years ago here on the forum. I was one that had a gun on board due to the "Someone is out to get me and my family type of fear".

After years of boating in many places, not once did I ever need to use it. For safety of the people on my boat, I quit taking it. To me it is one less thing to clean, oil, and maintain. The fear factor of a grandkid getting their hands on it was always a concern to me. It was a rough decision at first, but I finally realized it was a burden lifted.

Maybe on open water where there is very few boaters it maybe wise to have one. Especially if you spend most of your time there. All it takes is a watchful eye to avoid situations that warrant the use of a weapon.

Many times I have thought about getting a CCW permit, but I've never encountered a situation that I would need it, so why have it?

ThePostMan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

www.packing.org

Good resource for the ins-and-outs of carrying, state-by-state.

Of course, different states have different laws regarding concealed vs open carry of long guns (like your shotgun) vs hand guns, too. Most states treat them as two totally different things.

It's incredibly rare that I carry on-board, but I've done it. Mainly in cases where I didn't want to leave my gun unattended in my CAR for fear of theft, so I just took it with me on the boat. I certainly don't envision any seafaring gun battles or anything!

:D

The Great Escape II

Petty Officer 1st Class

In Georgia it is illegal to carry a hand gun on any lake managed by the Dept. of Natural Resources (DNR). This includes flare guns.

sunaj

Petty Officer 2nd Class

packing.org does not work

Better to have one and not need it, than to need it and not have it

ThePostMan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ooops. . .

I forgot that Packing.org was replaced by:

www.USAcarry.com

And while I generally agree with that statement on land, not so much aboard a boat, where it is more difficult to secure a firearm, you are more prone to having kids and other people who shouldn't have access, etc.

NolaZach

Seaman Apprentice

If I was on a sailboat, that left US waters, I would want to caryy a sub-machine gun and/or an Assult rifle (Bushmaster at Academy $999.99). On a pleasure boat, I don't know if there is a need. I guess you could have a rifle. I live in a dangerous city when it comes to gun crime and knowing that I have a gun does make me feel safer. If I was alone on a boat I may bring my handgun, but with kids I don't know what i would do. I guess it depends where you boat. I just don't hear that much about piracy on US waters.

C4tt

Recruit

i would only bring my hunting rifle "barrett m95":D
it will handle ducks, pirates, planes, small tanks... you get the idea