Fire Place

Fly Rod

Commander
:) Anybody have a ventless fireplace????<br />Are ya getting dizzy or nauseated????<br />It may be your ventless fireplace!!!<br />Tasteless; Odorless and Deadly!!! "Carbon Monoxide"!!!!<br /><br />Read these horror stories!!! <br /><br />www.chimneysweeponline.com/hovflett.htm

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Fire Place

My parents just put in a ventless gas fireplace about 6 months ago. It works great and so far no problems. They have a CO detector and it has never gone off.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Ya know, I have similar dizzy spells, nausea, and memory loss when I ride my ATV in the house all day. Think it could be an exhaust issue? <br /><br />But seriously,<br /><br />Are these people nuts? Why does anyone even make a ventless fireplace? The moisture problem must be real fun too. <br /><br />The whole thing makes as much sence as selling Box Jellyfish as pool toys.

DC698

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Customers always ask me about the vent free gas fireplaces and I always try and talk them out of purchasing them. Not worth the risk! If they want a gas fireplace/stove I recommend, at a minimum, a side wall vented unit if there is no natural drafting chimney in the house or room where they want the fireplace. Any solid or liquid fuel burning appliance needs a natural drafting vent with a fresh air make up to properly burn. (In my opinion) Gas appliances produce too much condensation to be vent free. And now people are having major problems with their power vented gas and oil furnaces. In January alone, I converted 4 power vented appliances back over to venting into natural drafting chimneys.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) After several deaths in Massachusetts from blocked gas vents, due to the last snow storm,a state law will be passed soon making it mandatory that homes must have carbon detectors!!!!

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer

brother has one - once you get over the initial fumes then it is ok...<br /><br />it does crank out the moisture though<br /><br />He has a 1700 farm house so carbon monoxide is not a an issue as the place leaks like a sieve....<br /><br />he also only leaves it on for a few hours at night

DC698

Petty Officer 2nd Class

"Once you get over the initial fumes then it is ok" :eek: Does your brother seem to take a lot of asperin at night for his headaches, Tomatolord? :confused: Flyrod, after the big snowstorm we had, any house I went to that was power vented out the side of the house, I made sure the vent was clear of snow and told my customers to check the vents after a snowfall. People dont realize how important it is to have their chimneys/vents checked annually (This includes dryer vents -- especially gas dryer vents!) CO detectors should be installed in all houses, just as important as smoke detectors.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) DC698!! <br />Some times you can talk to ya are blue in the face!! OOPS!!! I mean "RED" in the case of carbon!!!<br />They will go and spend hundreds on sports betting and plenty of booze for this weekend and some don't see the logic in spending 30 lowsey bucks!!!(talking about people in general)<br />My friend works for the housing authority and their gas furnaces shut down when they can't get air!!!! Good safety feature!!!

radar750

Seaman

Fly Rod, DC I apologize upfront if my info is wrong but I dont think anyone from Mass has died from a blocked heating appliance vent.Last Info I heard was the family from the South Shore was sick<br />but recovering.If they died I did not hear about it. I have been out for a while but my family still works in the bussiness.I think we will find out that the incident down there was the result of a shoddy installation from the pictures I saw on TV that vent termination kit did not look up to code.No way would an inspector pass that,it was too low to the ground. I bet no permit was pulled. Some of you seem to know the bussiness, that appliance should have shut down off the pressure switch. It could have been jumped out to try to melt it's way clear. I know that they are not made in heaven but when was the last time you saw a pressure switch fail.I was also under the impression that ventless appliances/fireplaces were not approved in Mass.I know they are under the National Fuel gas code

Fly Rod

Commander

:)Radar750<br />Not arquing at all !!! at least a dozen people down the Cape have been sick!!! The wife and 2kids died and I'm almost positive that the baby in the womb died also!!! Not sure, but think the father was a fireman also and came home and found them still alive but didn't turn out for the good!!!! Allot of people ill down the Cape!!!<br /><br />Regardless of properly installed or not 30 bucks would have saved them!!!!<br />When I built my new house 4 years ago and had natrual gas installed so was the carbon detector plugged in!!!!! And my daughter had propane installed and I bought her a gift that also plugs in!!! and as you know propane is heavier then natrual!!! and like I said earlier Mass is going to make it a building code law that they have to be installed such as smoke alarms!!!!<br /><br />Enjoy the "SUPER BOWL"!!! ;) :cool:

DC698

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yea, No argument at all here. I actually didn't hear the last report of the wife and kids that didn't make it. Last I heard is that they were taken to the hospital and put into hyperbolic (sp??)chambers, that is aweful. And Radar, you are right. Some of these power vented systems aren't even installed to code to begin with. Much too low to the ground, under decks!, and under windows! Just went to a job the other day and they had an oil furnace power vented out the side of the house -- fine, but then they had been complaining of smelling "oil fumes" in the warmer months...come to find out it vented out the wall 4ft below the living room window!! It's hard to believe that the building inspectors dont catch these problems at final inspection. The problem with power venting gas appliances is that it will not melt snow or ice because of its very low vented temperature, causing the PVC vent to be blocked. And Radar, your right, the sensors mounted on the gas furnace draft hoods are a joke! I personally have never heard of one working correctly. Seen to many blocked gas flues and the furnace is still cooking away with heat and carbon monoxide blasting out the draft hood -- those sensors work real good! Lastly, GO PATS!!