fire extinguishers

Addis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Which might be better in a fire extinguisher for boats, a mono-ammonium filled or sodium bicarbonate?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
This is what I use on my boat.

A Tri-Class (1-A, 10-B:C) marine-rated multipurpose dry chemical extinguisher that is easy to operate.

Suitable for use on Class A (trash, wood and paper), Class B (liquids and gases) and Class C fires (energized electrical equipment).

Addis

Petty Officer 3rd Class

A Tri-Class (1-A, 10-B:C) marine-rated multipurpose dry chemical extinguisher that is easy to operate.

Suitable for use on Class A (trash, wood and paper), Class B (liquids and gases) and Class C fires (energized electrical equipment
Not that I'm planning to have a fire, but I was wondering if there is much difference between the two types during clean up afterwards. I also see extinguishers need to be replaced after 12 years.
Thank you for the reply.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Not that I'm planning to have a fire, but I was wondering if there is much difference between the two types during clean up afterwards. I also see extinguishers need to be replaced after 12 years.
Thank you for the reply.
the purpose of the fire extinquisher on a boat is to give you just enough time to get the PFD's on and get in the water prior to the fuel exploding. cleanup is usually not a concern

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Look into a HALON system inside the dog house.-----Correct , a fire extinguisher is not much use.------I know on my boat I showed a small extinguisher and got to OK.------I kind of laughed after the stop.----The fuel tank had 100 gallons and in the event of a major mishap it would have been a joke.------I have taken seminars where you learn how to use a fire extinguisher.-----If you have never taken such a course than contact your local fire brigade and take such a course.-----You can not spend a better 2 hrs for you and the family.-----When there is a fire there is no time to learn !!!

Addis

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Suitable for use on Class A (trash, wood and paper), Class B (liquids and gases) and Class C fires (energized electrical equipment).
The extinguishers will stored on our houseboat and just thinking ahead just in case. Thank You