Fine tune for the big race!

Evinrude Boy

Cadet
ok from what most of you said the only thing i can do without trashing the motor (1956 7.5 Evinrude) is fine tune it. What is there to tune other than the carb? And what about splitfire plugs? Good bad or not available(for my motor). Any tune up tips or info is appreciated! Thanks for your help!

petryshyn

Commander
Re: Fine tune for the big race!

Splitfire is good money gone bad. <br />>I'd use fresh fuel and 50:1 synthetic ashless oil for the race. Then return to the 24:1 after the race (if it survives!!)<br />>Adjust the carb for best performance once fuel has passed through system. <br />>Polish the points by allowing them to close on crokus cloth and pulling it out several times alternating the abrasive side. Last pull, use a clean business card. <br />>Adjust points to spec (.020)and set synch by the book.<br />>decarb engine, then replace with new plugs.<br />>flatten and smoothen any nicks in the prop<br />>take it out ahead of time and fine tune your trim angle and leg depth.<br />>lighten your load<br /><br />Good luck! :eek: :eek:

novacane

Seaman

spitfire plugs are garbage think about it spark will junp to the less resistance witch crank case presure along will have a change in firing kv it wont split that bull only thing it may do is unshould the spark witch you can do with you stock plugs heres the scoop gentle bend the ground eletrode to a 45<br />degree angle down with like a dremal tool grind it back so when it return it to normal plug gap the ground eletrode stop at about<br />half way over the fire ectrode if you look at one plug youve done verse one stock youll see how the spark is less block to the combustion chamber now on a 4 stroke you may even point the ground electrode 2 strok i <br />wounldnt point may glow and create detention <br /> :eek: good luck happy racing this is a old racers trick :cool:

P.V.

Chief Petty Officer

If you dare, drain out the gear oil and put in auto- transmission fluid. Lighter oil will give you a free 200 to 400 rpms. O.K. maybe 200 and slightly more !!!

Waco

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Are there any regulations? What will they "allow" you to do?