Finding a GOOD boat MECHANIC

denniz

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Thought this would be a interesting topic for Boat owners.I have been a boat mechanic for 25 Years.(Iknow alot of you have been doing it for150 years) My suggestions for finding a GOOD boat mechanic are.... Find a dealer who specializes on what you own. Im a Merc master Tech, I work on Everything but Merc is my specialty. Look for certificates on the wall, This is a indication your mechanic is committed to learning about the NEW PRODUCTS.Joes lawnmower and boat repair doesnt cut it. If you can find a commision mechanic. WHY? Because a commissioned mechanic doesnt make money if you dont bring your boat in.Most actually care about you and your boat because they want your buisness. I know my attitude has changed since I went commission. So has the paychecks. Anyway Im sure someone will correct me if Im wrong or misspelled anything. Any other hints for Finding a good Mechanic will be appreciated by someone.D

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Finding a GOOD boat MECHANIC

RK, I own nothing but Gray and Black and I always do most of it myself, but if it is something I am not familiar with or not up to par on, I take it to my mechanic which is a Master Tech for them.<br /><br />He also just gets paid for what he fixes and he knows all his customers by first name and not just another dollar sign.<br /><br />He might be a little higher in price for his work, but the old saying holds true in this area, "You get what you pay for" :)

Throbbin Rods

Petty Officer 1st Class

Back in the early 70's my auto shop teacher told me something that I have never forgotten. "Quality of the work is remembered long after price is forgotten" Hire the best guy you can find - price just shouldn't be a factor. I don't want soem wannabe working on my boat.car.truck,ATV/anything else just to save a few bucks. I want THE MAN!<br />just my .01

denniz

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That reminds me of One of my first Merc teachers. He said at the end of class" If your going to be a boat mechanic, be a good one" I dont know why that has stuck with me, but thru the years but it deffinetly made a Impact on me. I took it a step further, if your going to be good why not be the BEST.(Or at least the bestyou can be)

LubeDude

Admiral

I worked online as a body-frame man for about 25 years, I worked commision for most of those years. You quickly learn that you need customers to come back to you and you do not have time to do something over because you do it for free. The best guy in the shop is the one you want. Even though the guy that just fixed my boat did a great job and nailed it the first time, I aked him about oils and he said to use theres and nothing else. Sorry, NOT!

tylerin

Commander

I've got this mechanic....he's a big ahole. Sometimes I don't know if he knows what he's doing but always seems to get the boat back on the water. Doesn't charge much but he takes forever. Sometimes he drinks while he's working on my boat, which is a bit scary........Oh thats me :D

LadyFish

Admiral

I love our mechanic. He comes to the house and either works on the boat in the slip or picks it up and trailers it to his shop. Anytime we're out on the water we can call him and he'll talk us through it over the phone or will even come out on the water himself and take care of the problem. He's Johnson certified and really knows his stuff.<br /><br />We were having a regulator problem and when Mr. LadyFish went to get bait yesterday he happen to see him. He mentioned the problem and asked him to come by next week and fix it. Our mechanic followed him back to the house and made some adjustments before we left on our fishing trip.<br /><br />You just can't beat that. Great guy, good family man, good friend and awesome mechanic. :)

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Does he travel to Mass.!!!! ;) <br /><br />Wish we had one or two like that mec. up this way!!! :cool: