Financial people please help

POINTER94

Vice Admiral
I am buying a house. But the downpayment is thin. My credit is outstanding and I am approved for far more than I am willing to spend. The Question is about closing costs. I am looking at splitting the loan so as to avoid PMI. I get the feeling I am looking at about 8K. This seems unreasonable. I am eligible for a Fanny Mae whatever that means.<br /><br />Can someone provide some explaination on what I should expect to pay in "Closing Costs". The rate I got is 5.5%. I want to close this deal b4 interest rates jump and I anticipate that to occur at or around christmas.<br /><br />thanks.<br /><br />Figure Sales price at 200K

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Financial people please help

My experience is check around at different mortgage companies. Interest is pretty much the same, but I have found closing costs are different. <br />I don't think I can figure anything with $200K. Extremely nice 4 bedroom homes in the small town where I live usually won't sell for over $65K. :eek: <br />Anyway check around a little. Some lending companies are cutting closing costs to compete for loans.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Ask your realtor, they might be able to suggest someone that can work with you.<br /><br />We made the sellers pay closing costs, kept my out of pocket to a bare minimum.<br /><br />I used National City mortgage, and have no complaints.<br /><br />Ken

rogerwa

Commander

I worked with homestead mortgage through the internet on a complex deal where I refied my house to take out money for a down payment on my cabin. <br /><br />HSM has a flat origination fee which will save a bunch. I would check them out.

jee70611

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tell them you want to LOCK your rate. They may charge you a fee for it, but it is miniscule when compared to the effect a small increase in the interest rate can cost you over the life of the loan. It will keep your interest rate the same through closing. Make sure the lock agreement states that it is good through closing though. <br /><br /> Usually, closing costs include the origination fee, appraisal fees, title work, lawyers fees, prepaid interest, title insurance, as well as various other fees as required. Also, the figures you are getting may also include your reserves. Most banks require you to have "X" amount of dollars in your bank account as reserves prior to closing to cover at least two payments, prepaid insurance(if escrowed), and prepaid taxes(if escrowed). Ask them for a HUD-1 Settlement Statement. It will have the breakdown of all the costs. If you haven't committed yet, they are required to give you a "Good Faith Estimate of Closing Costs" prior to beginning the process. The final amount shouldn't vary much from that unless something drastic happens. <br /><br /> If your credit and other qualifications are as high as they sound, you can negotiate a lot with the bank. Tell them, that you don't want to be charged an origination fee, and that you don't want to pay as high a percent of lender closing costs. If you really feel ambitious, tell them that you don't want any lender closing fees at all. Tell them that they will be getting plenty of money from you over the life ot the loan.<br /><br /> PMI is usually required regardless of how much a loan is for if the amount owed is greater than 80% of the value of the home as appraised. Usually, they will only appraise the house "for the loan" when buying a home. Reason being that they don't want to alert the property assessor to a large increase in value. You could possibly have it reappraised later and have it appraise high enough to not need PMI. PMI is a risk sharing thing that banks use for no other reason than to make more money without charging a higher interest rate.<br /><br /> Fannie Mae is a government program that makes it easier for people to get home loans by securing the debt. In other words, if you don't pay it, the government will pick up the tab. Good luck and don't let the stress get to you too bad. <br /><br />James

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

So you are doing a first for 75-80%, then a second for the balance, to avoid the pmi? Sounds good, lots of smart people doing that these days.<br /><br />$8000 sure seems like a lot to me. Is that just for the loan or does it include all the other expenses too? ( appraisal, title ins, survey, etc.)<br /><br />Seems like you should be able to get a better deal.<br />Perhaps check with a few of the larger mortgage brokerages in the Madison area.<br /><br />Does this mean you are staying here, and not moving to the southeast?

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

roscoe,<br /><br />My company was purchased a couple of months ago and with the transition, certain stability factors caused me to make the decision to stay put. In addition, Ann has a good job she loves and we love Wisconsin. Chasing the buck may be right for some, but with the changes in job descriptions and limited payback, and healthcare costs, 4 nights a week on the road, it just didn't seem worth the move. At one time the position was one of the best in the company, but now it has all the responsibility and none of the authority. No sense moving to be looking for a new job in a strange area after just a couple of years. Besides all my friends and family are here and dispite my warm and cuddly disposition having/making friends takes a long time.<br /><br />The 8 grand covers all fees, on both loans. I have heard of trying to get the seller to pay the closing costs but in negotiations how do you get them to agree to this. Working the angles in my mind right now.<br /><br />Time to be happy with what we have and set up roots and start a family.

Bigfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is it cheaper & less risky to pay 5-6% interest on 40,000$ or whatever the 2nd mortg. is than paying the pmi.? that just don't sound right? just curious.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

The difference in the interest rate between the first and the second is about a 1/2 a point. On 40K that would represent about an extra 30-35 dollars a month vs. 135 in PMI. The amount of required funds remains constant whether it is spread across two loans or consolidated into one. Therefore payback on the origination fee should be less than one year.<br /><br />As for the two months of payments in the bank, I got that covered.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds like you have a good handel on things pointer but one thing I havent seen is make sure the second is a fixed rate. If it is variable it would soon make the PMI look cheap. Sellers can and do pay closning however in that situation it usally does not pay loan origination etc but rather realotors fees and inspections etc. If need be You can go Fanniemay but if not nesacary consider your options tell the loan company you want to look at it both ways as often times the rates are .25-.5 higher...just cus they can. Whenever the finance co offers an option to go one way or another tell them you want to see it both ways, the amortization schedule will show you witch one is more benificial to you.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Uh oh.<br />New house, new baby, new boat?

eeboater

Commander

Hey Pointer...<br /><br />I hate to say this, but your Loan officer should be explaining this all to you... if he/she hasn't... he/she isn't doing his job.<br /><br />I work for the the second largest mortgage banker in the state of WI and have seen the slimey organizations there are out there. <br /><br />My organization is a mortagage wholesaler vs. a broker. Brokers have next to no risk... they basically come to organizations like the one I work for to get their "rate." Of course this is a generalization of the process, but my point is be careful with who you are dealing with.<br /><br />If you are interested, I can provide some more info for you or even provide you with a contact. I'm the IT guy so I don't do any work per se... but what I DO know is who does the best job and works the hardest.<br /><br />Feel free to email me at <br /><br />kaneseanatgmaildotcom<br /><br />Sean<br /><br /> Mods: I hope I am not out of line on this, but anytime I see anyone having problems or questions like this when they are getting financing, I like to try to lend a helping hand. I dont want to come off as an ad.