Finally pictures of my newest project.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander
This coming weekend, if I get enough done by then, am going to have a shingling party. Anyone wanting to come let me know!<br /><br />
100_0062.jpg
<br /><br />
100_0061.jpg
<br /><br />
100_0060.jpg
<br /><br />The best part of this is the cost. All of the 2x4 lumber and a majority of the 1/2 inch sheeting were free! The flatbed trucks that haul steel and sheetmetal use this wood for shipping. I then collect it from the dumpsters and use it for these projects. You can see a little of my deck on the one shot.

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant
Re: Finally pictures of my newest project.

no way....I just spent this weekend ripping off shingles and putting on a metal roof on my house.....I'm so dang sore!!!!

KaGee

Admiral

Expecting more little DD's ??? :p

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Just makin room for the 3 we have.

crab bait

Captain

oughta be a law.. someone call the cops..!! <br />bagman rumagin' thru the dumpsters.. :) ..<br /><br />( anyway,,!! where'd you get the time to do all that..??..!! )

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

instead of hangin' out at the donut shop, he was rummaging through dumpsters and building a house....sounds like that will help his figure more than the kolaches!

bubbakat

Captain

As DD can attest to on our wages you have to prowl thru the dumpsters because you don't take home enough to buy what you need.<br />DD I do the same thing down here. I have built a shed to put my travel trailer in and my boat and tractor and a hay barn. Ain't bad for an old scrounger.<br /><br />BTW Your project is looking good.<br /><br /><br />BTW guys we don't call it dumpster diving we call it gathering evidence. :D :D

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

Bubbakat.....is that were my mercury shocks came from :D :D :D evidence......hope it wasn't evidenc from some stupid human trick :D

bubbakat

Captain

might have been KK. But I will never tell. :D :D

eeboater

Commander

Hey DD - is that a window or a door in the upper-left of the front side of the house?<br /><br />Sean

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Upper left in the dormer wall is a window. I am also using used windows so that one will be a little narrower.<br /><br />I still call it dumpster diving. Here when one of us find a good one, we call the rest in and dig in. Mostly the business dumpsters. Residential dumpsters are too nasty, unless they are dopers. You can learn a lot by someones trash!<br /><br />Been working on this project since may as time and money allow. When I get the roof on I will have about $3,000 into it. Hoping to be finished middle of next summer.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

Your work is EXCELLENT DD. Man after my own methods. I have always been known for trying to make something from nothing! Success from time to time. <br /><br />I do believe that you have success in your project my friend! And the best is that it is done with materials that would be wasted otherwise. <br /><br />Great Job! :)

steamboatwilly

Petty Officer 1st Class

deputydawg,Im an ex-shingler.Ill come help you if youl buy my gas there.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Hmm, the gas would probably break me. Wait, I am already broke! Can't do that but I could show you a good fishin hole and some fun hunting as soon as coon season opens again.<br /><br />I have built a few buildings and additions to houses before. Kind of self taught, but I think it runs in my family. All my uncles and great uncles on dads side are carpenters. My grandfatehr on moms side was somewhat of a carpenter, built several houses. Must be in my blood.<br />This is teh first one I have ever built with dormers. Hardest part was matching the old roof so it runs in one long line instead of a valley.

Funkyfarmer

Cadet

Hi <br />And here I was thinking this was going to be something interesting? Like a boat or summat! Oh well at least you get brownie points from the Missis eh! :) <br />Have a great day<br />Cheers

dolluper

Captain

Dumpster diving is a true art,that certainly was a good find ,a whole addition,not bad,good job.<br />Next time your buying auto parts ask them when their doing invitatory,go diving after they do it,you would be surprized what you find[new parts in wrong boxes][auto paint with labels missing] and more ,more.I have a friend how goes diving rather than going to church,his garage is full of auto parts all new and everything you can think of.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

The lumber I get is kind of an unusual story. My dad drives truck. One of his regular stops is right next door to a steel manufacturer that makes farm equipment. He noticed that in the back they had a large dumpster, one of the construction sizes about 20 feet or so. It was full of wood scraps. He asked one of the employees what it was from, he told him it was packing from the flatbed trucks. Cheaper to throw it out than to keep it. The 2x4's are the tops of the trees so they are not completely square, and the 1/2 inch plywood sheeting is in 4x4 squares. Dad being the scavenger he is (runs in the family) thought it would be good firewood. He talked to the trash man that dumps the container. It cost them a lot to dump at the landfill, so dad has him dump it at his farm. So once a month or so he gets a pile of lumber dumped in his yard. <br /><br />So far I have built my deck, which I will post a picture of, my sister built a second floor on her house, I built a garage for a friend, and dad has built a few small buildings for his birds he raises. He also bundles and sells it at auctions. He also gets good pallets he sells to Nebraska Pallet, good oak 4x4 posts 2x2 stock, and often chunks of sheet metal.<br /><br />I never thought of auto parts stores for dumpster diving. Have been to the goodwill dumpsters when they clear their inventory. Good stuff there!

ndemge

Commander

WOW DD... can I come visit with my trailer? :)

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Anytime. Right now he has about 100 10 foot 2x4's stocked up.<br /><br />Also forgot, I gutted 2 old houses they are tearing down. One had a brand new toilet, corner shower, and sink with vanity I took to make a bathroom upstairs, the other had about 50 feet of good like new PVC pipe for drains, about 3 square of siding, and 4 bundles of shingles all new sitting there un-used. I also stripped some 18 foot 2x6's for rafters from these houses.<br /><br />My motto is "I aint proud!".