Finally found an Aristocraft

Timestop66

Cadet
Greetings fellow Aristocraftys, crafters? After a long search, I have recently acquired a pair of 19's: a 1970 and a 1979. I hope to build one nice boat from the two. Out west (San Diego) there are not many Aristocrafts to choose from. The 79 has the best hull and motor (165) but the 70 has the better interior. I decided to perform the re-foam even though it was not too water logged.

Ziggy, 'Lime Time' is a really nice boat and continues to be my inspiration.

I will have a number of parts left over from the 1970 that someone could use:Top, Windshields / Frames, Guages, trim. Let me know if there is any interest.

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Finally found an Aristocraft

congrats on your new acquisition ts66. sounds like you've got the making of a fine boat when yer done. i always ask, can't help it, sorry. what color ya get? so far best i can remember from all the threads i've read on the aristocraft forum, there's, red/white, blue/white, coral/white, full robin egg blue, brown, tan, lime green, hope i didn't miss anyone. ;) hope you like yer 165 as much as i like mine. they're darn good engines. it'll push your new nineteen pretty darn good too. i gps @ 42 mph @ 4300 rpm.

make sure ya go over to the i/o forum and get a service manual. it's in the adults only sticky at the top of the i/o page. #9. if yer going with the 79 165 engine, i think ya need #3 and #4. confirm by s/n. lots of other good reading in that sticky too.

thankyou for the compliment on limetime. she's been real good to me, so far. i'm on my 3rd year with it. i also use it most every weekend. more if i can...

i'm sure ya'll have no problem finding homes for yer left over parts. i know one fella from this forum was looking for a 70's version bow light. don't remember who though off hand.

anyways, keep us up to date on your progress. pics if ya got em. pics are fun.

looking fwd to hearing about your maiden voyage when ya get her all fixed up...

Timestop66

Cadet

This boat had a tan interior and top. I am going to change that. In the interim here is a pic of my re-foam work this last week-end. My new Mercruiser 165 is about finished and should be back in the boat this week.

Attachments

• Aristo foam out.jpg
    Aristo foam out.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 4

ziggy

Admiral

great pic ts66. that's the first pic i've seen of what's under the inner liner. cool. so how far are you diggin it out? can you get all the way to the transom under the liner from the holes you've created? how far forward can you get? were you wet? man, that baby's gonna be nice and light when your done. a fresh 165hp engine. man, she's gonna fly. hope you'll post up some wot speeds after yer done. something for us other aristocraft owners to compare to. how it sits in the water static would be nice too. as a reference for others to see if they might be water logged too. you're work is looking outstanding..
what are you gonna use to replace the foam with. what product?

pics, pics pics of your deed would be real helpful for others here i think... hint, hint... ;)

what color are you gonna go with...

Timestop66

Cadet

Ziggy,

Here is a pic of the aft section looking back toward the transom. I was able to remove the foam all the way back. You can see in the other pic my weapons of choice: a 12" long wood auger attached to a 12" extension, a medium pry bar, and a small garden spade. I used the auger to drill as many holes as possible in the foam. (with light pressure the bit will drift to the soft foam and not bite into any fiberglass) I then used the prybar to break out chunks of foam.

The foam was moist near the transom and became less so forward. At the seat bases there was no trace of moisture. I removed about 18 inches under the seat bases to be safe. Also there is a section under the engine that can not be reached through the large holes. I drilled a 4" hole and cleaned it out as well.

The product I am using to replace the foam is made by Aeromarine. It is a two pound per cubic foot density, 2 part, polyurethane pour in place foam.
(http:\\www.jgreer.com) So far the foam works great.

For what it is worth, I found a supply of NOS mercury 165 gauges from the 70's. Come complete with wiring harness.

I have yet to decide on color.

Attachments

• Foam removal 2.jpg
    Foam removal 2.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Foam removal 3.jpg
    Foam removal 3.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 2

ziggy

Admiral

very interesting what ya got going there ts66. looks like its going just about as aristocraft (scott) has described. he's stated that these nineteens are easier to rebuild than any stringer built type boat. i think i'm starting to beleive him. i saw your implements of destruction. same ones aristocraft said to use and it looks like it's working very well for you. sweet.

can you tell me anything about these tubes that are in the ninteens. i see the hole in your ski locker in the first round of pics. what are you going to use to replace that hose? how are they held onto the boat? i'm also very courious about what the ft. motor mount bolts down to. in your restore, can you see that area? reason i'm interested in that is that i'd dearly like to put a wrench to my ft. motor mount lag bolts to see if there nice and tight. but i don't know what their screwed into. my last boat, not a ninteen. just a regular boat. that was my first sign i was had. the ft. motor mount lag bolts were rusted and the screw holes were mush.

any more insight as to how these sweety's are built?

Timestop66

Cadet

Ziggy,

The front motor mount rests on a pad made up of 3 pieces of 1/2 plywood roughly14" square. In my boat everything is encased in fiberglass. By '79 it seems a single platform was used for all engine/drive systems so the front mount would lag-screw into the plywood pad wherever it needed to. My boat had a mercruiser 470 4 cyl. originally. As I am converting to a 165 6 cyl., my front motor mount will screw into the pad about 3 inches further forward.

The ski-locker drain tube and the blower-vent tube on the '79 were made with an aluminum flex-pipe with ends lightly glassed to the inner liner prior to assembly. I replaced mine with a 3 wall HDPE irrigation pipe and pvc ends. This pipe has a 3 1/4" o.d. that fits the factory holes without modification. I simply epoxied the ends to the liner to make everything water tight. Here is a pic of the blower vent tube:

Attachments

• Blower vent tube.jpg
    Blower vent tube.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 2

ziggy

Admiral

thanks ts. that's just the kinda info i was looking for.
The front motor mount rests on a pad made up of 3 pieces of 1/2 plywood roughly14" square. In my boat everything is encased in fiberglass.
so do you have access to this area with the holes you've cut out of the inner liner? i assume the wood pad is encased to the inner liner, right behind the ski locker? you'd said you didn't have access to right under the engine. is it because the ski locker sides extend all the way back to the transom? is the engine mount wood inside this box? what i'm understanding and seeing from your pics is a non accessible box w/ the transom and the back of the ski locker as the ends, the sides are an extension of the ski locker all the way back to the transom. the engine mount wood glassed to the bottom of the inner liner at the very ft. of the box. is that a pretty close description?

The ski-locker drain tube and the blower-vent tube on the '79 were made with an aluminum flex-pipe with ends lightly glassed to the inner liner prior to assembly
thanks again. i'd talked to scott and he'd told me that there was a difference in tube material between the later and earlier versions of the nineteen. i can only assume that my tubes are held in the same manner as yours. but for sure, my tubes appear from the outside looking in to be made of cloth of some kind w/a spring. kinda like a dryer vent tube. looks like your new tube material will hold up for the rest of the life your your boat. looks like a great choice in material to me.

keep up the pics and info of your restore. i think this info is gonna help many that have nineteens. might even help me. i'm tring to plan ahead ya know...

Markm1960

Cadet

Congratulations on your new purchases. I have owned my 1974 Aristo Craft model 9teen for about 18 months now and it has been fun. We use it for family skiing, tubing and wakeboarding...we also attend Antique and Classis Boat Society events.
Thanks to the guys at www.aristocraftboats.com I have received lots of valuable help.

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

Is yours brown? I would love to know what color top mine should have had.

ziggy

Admiral

Thanks to the guys at www.aristocraftboats.com I have received lots of valuable help.
yep, pretty cool we can get oem support for our toys. not many folks can say that about their boat that's 35 years old round abouts i don't think. we all sure did get lucky..
you've also found the hip place (iboats) to get answers to many boat questions here. the i/o fourm has a bunch of great folks willing to give you their all in trying to help figure out peoples problems with their engines and drives. along with db's question. what engine/drive did you get? if ya got a mercruiser. the oem service manuals are available over at the top of the i/o page in the adults only sticky thread at the very top of the page..

got pics of your nineteen? done anything special to your's to keep her hip?

Timestop66

Cadet

Is yours brown? I would love to know what color top mine should have had.

DB:

My 79 came with a brown interior and a tan top. The Original gel-coat is a cream color.

Timestop66

Cadet

ZIggy:

because the ski locker sides extend all the way back to the transom? is the engine mount wood inside this box? what i'm understanding and seeing from your pics is a non accessible box w/ the transom and the back of the ski locker as the ends, the sides are an extension of the ski locker all the way back to the transom. the engine mount wood glassed to the bottom of the inner liner at the very ft. of the box. is that a pretty close description?

Precisely.