Finally did it.

FLATHEAD

Captain
Well I finally went out and plunked down some dough for a dog. We chose a yellow lab, I'll use her for hunting and the wife and daughter can spoil her as the family pet. She has champion bloodlines, the parents and grandparents were on site. <br /><br />I would like to thank the members here that replied to a thread I posted a while back asking about a dog. I got very helpful information.<br /><br />Tylerin,, If your out there I might need some pointers on getting her started as soon as possible to get in the hunt.

NYMINUTE

Captain
Re: Finally did it.

8.gif
<br /><br />Get Ready, they are enegetic, smart and alot of Fun. Congrats

SoulWinner

Commander

Yellow labs are great dogs. Although my favorite breed is the loving and gentle Rotty, Yellow Labs are probably next on my list favs. As with any highly intelligent dogs, they demand attention. Congrats on your new family member!

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

you did well. Labs are great dogs...they are very energetic and can chew the siding off a house in no time! Keep them occupied. anytime she does something wrong, take a newspaper, (or magazine), roll it up and beat yourself on the head while chanting...."I should have been watching my dog" repeat over and over again until you learn they need(and want) supervision.<br /><br />These dogs want to please...so do your duty to have the dog "work" for you. It's bred into them.<br /><br />Here are some pics of my lab<br /> http://www.keltonkrew.com/misty.htm <br /><br />
Misty-9.jpg
<br /><br /><br />Once again, congrats...you did well!

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Hi Flahthead, congrats on your new family member, the eldest of my dogs is having surgery today, he's having a tumor removed so i'm walking around with the feeling of my gut in my chest.<br />I'll know the results around 3pm (Dallas time)

FLATHEAD

Captain

Hey thanks guys, Fine looking dog Kelton. Elmer we have our fingers crossed for a fast recovery.<br /><br />After I put my old girl down last summer I did not think I could get excited about a dog again. But I'll tell ya what,, I cant wait to get her, she will be ready to come home end of December. <br /><br />Not looking forward to house training a new pup in the middle of winter. But we will manage.

aspeck

Staff member

Congrats there Flahthead! Enjoy your new family member!

eeboater

Commander

You know... they say the people who own pets live longer. Who 'they' are... not sure!<br /><br />Here's my puppy. Weighing in at a measly 120 Lb.<br /><br />
1319538-JeepNorman.jpg
<br /><br />Sean

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by eeboater:<br /> You know... they say the people who own pets live longer. Who 'they' are... not sure!<br /><br />Here's my puppy. Weighing in at a measly 120 Lb.<br /><br /> <br /><br />Sean
I have a little one too
My avatar is 4 years , the Dane is 2

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Put my Golden Retriever "Dusty" down with cancer at 9 in July, and miss her dearly. 3 days later got a new 6 week old Golden, and now 6 months and driving me nuts...energy I wish I could "bottle" and sell! If ya don't love dogs, you are not from this planet! My Baby..
Yard6months.jpg

salty87

Commander

just pulled the trigger on a little sister for our male lab....<br /><br />tomorrow will be the end of our first week with her. no complaints so far, not too much sleep either. they started pal'ing around after 2 days.<br /><br />
board-profile.cgi

tylerin

Commander

FH Congrats on your new addition. Labs are easy to start. E-mail me when you get a chance

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Congrats and good luck Flathead .. <br /><br />patience, consistancy, and the lack of rough housing will make the world of difference.. praise, praise and more praise when they do some thing correct. A pat on the head and a rub on the shoulder works well so they don't get 'food trained'.<br /><br />and remember - its harder to break pups/dogs of bad habits than it is to 'teach' them in the first place.<br /><br />keep it simple - same with the name .. short, defined, consistant, and well pronounced commands are key.<br /><br />Labs maturation rates are slower being a big breed, so again, patience and love my friend..<br /><br />its never too early to start'em on bird wings then gradually get them onto birds.<br /><br />I'm sure tylerin will get you going like a champ.<br /><br />good luck with the pup :) <br /><br /> ;)

tylerin

Commander

Quote from Barlow: good luck with the pup and its never too early to start'em on wings then birds
I've got a bunch in the freezer. Just let me know and I'll send you some.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

tylerin - holy cats you slid in there while I was brushing (editing) my post up.. :D <br /><br />btw - how's the season goin'?

tylerin

Commander

Barlow I'm going on a 6 day Duck and Goose hunt this Thursday. I'll be traveling up to the marshlands of Ca. Birds aren't flying this far south (Ventura) just yet. I belong to a 3000 member club where we lease over 600 thousand acres from corn and rice farmers that we flood to aid in the migration process. Duck numbers are on the rise, and the farmers love the duck fertile soil. No lose situation. There's some 100 spots to hunt at w/ key entry only so it pretty good. Ducks have been speratic while Quail Chucker and Pheasant have been awesome. Sorry for stealing your thread FH.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Quail Chucker and Pheasant have been awesome
Chucker.... ahhh. Now that's some good eating there. Haven't heard that name since childhood. Dad and brothers were bird hunters and boy did we do some good bird eating. Nice memory. Hey, where do you buy chucker anyway?

tylerin

Commander

Bassy! You can't buy chucker, you have to work for them, and work hard you will. By far the hardest bird I hunt. Chucker can discourage even the best of dogs as well. My dog does not like them at all.