Finally a change in the arab world?

rolmops

Vice Admiral
I was reading through the Egyptian newspapers this morning and to my great surprise I read an editorial that I will summarize here.<br />The writer stated that the arab world will finally have to recognize that all the children killing terrorists in this world are moslems and that there is no excuse for killing innocent children and this is not an act of heroism to defend the islamic world against the west,but a shameful act of fanatics who by doing so, do more damage to the name of islam than any or all of the non islamic states have done in the past years.<br />Simular editorials have appeared in the gulf states today.The thing that triggered these reactions was the television coverage of the elementary school hostage drama in Russia.To read anything like this in the arab press is almost unheard of,but now all of a sudden it is all over the arab world. If this is the beginning of a change in the mindset of the arab world,then maybe those poor children,G-d bless their souls, who were slaughtered by moslem terrorists did not die completely in vain.

Ralph 123

Captain
Re: Finally a change in the arab world?

I hope it's true but I am cynical now about these people. Quite for so long. I think they just fear the Bear & the Eagle joining to clean house

aspeck

Staff member

Ralph, for whatever reason they seem to be coming to that conclusion, we can be grateful. Let us pray that it is heartfelt and will present a true change in attitude.

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I hope it's true too.<br /><br />For the life of me, I can't think of anything worse to damage a religion - than what these terrorists do when they kill innocent people (especially children) in the name of that religion. :(

PW2

Commander

I hope it is true as well.<br /><br />Somehow, if there are indeed "moderate" Muslims, and I think there is, then we have to work together to change their textbooks in the schools of the Arab world to reflect that moderation--that Western ideas are not all evil. That individual responsibility and general personal economic development are possible while still maintaining some cultural distinctions.<br /><br />This is, of course, an integral part of the "sensitive" war on terror that is so roundly ridiculed.<br /><br />There is no government entity that can be secure or can prosper in an environment of terror.<br /><br />I hope a few editorial writers can have a meaningful positive effect, but I fear that the changes needed are far more fundamental than that, and approaches need to more "sensitive" than what we have tried in the past.

hayhauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

President Bush has always said that Islam was not a violent faith, but that a minority of the followers were violent.<br /><br />I hope that the majority of the faithful of Islam will begin to see that those who do such things are damaging their faith.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Hopefully they will begin to realize they are self destructing. In this modern world, terrorisim just doesnt work.<br /><br />If the palestinians had not been susicide bombing Israel, they might have settled their differences long ago.<br /><br />When the muslim elders come out and say infadels are humans too and are to be treated with the same respect as muslims treat muslims, I will begin to relax.<br /><br />Ken

ehenry

Commander

rolmops, I'm curious and not trying to start anything...but in your last sentence, why did you spell God the way you did? Typo?

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

EF, i believe it's an old jewish tradition, not<br />supposed to actually say it.(respect/reverence)<br />as for why more muslims don't speak up, prob. fear.<br />many christians probably did not agree with the<br />spanish inquisition or the crusades, but kept<br />quiet for fear of reprisal.<br /><br />also, I feel that "Islam" has little to do with<br />any of this crud, even though they wear it as a<br />shield... it's about power and money IMHO.

ehenry

Commander

You're probably right Mellow. I'm just an old coutry guy that has a healthy respect\reverence and fear of the lord, I say lords name all the time and am proud to say it.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Hello Efhenry.<br />M.Y. is right.And you should be proud of what you do as I am proud of what I do.We both have the same respect and reverence,we just express it in a different way.