Fin on or off?

dennisrhall

Seaman
When i bought my 1975 15ft, MFG and 1967 merc 65hp last summer it had a fin already on. Explain the pourpose of the fin and would it be better on or off? As far as speed goes.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fin on or off?

The purpose of the fin is to plane the boat out faster and keep it on plane at lower speeds. Apparently, the previous owner thought it worked well, as do many others on here. Some like them, some don't feel they are nessesary. I would try it with it and see how it goes, then just take it off if you like and try it out again. You will notice the difference right away when you take off. You may lose a mile an hour or so on the top end, but then again, maybe not. Personally, I think they do help on smaller boats with smaller motors... BTW- Sure do love those 67' 65 HP Mercs...Wish I still had mine.

CU2NITE

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think its the cheapest, best thing you can do for a boat up to 150 hp. You get on plane much much faster and it prevents your boat from porpusing(bounceing around)when you are on plane. If I were you I would leave it on. If you try it without it you will see why. Good luck.<br />CU<br /><br />---------------------<br />RUNNING THE MOTOR WHILE LISTENING TO THE HORN WILL MAKE YOU MORN!!

phatmanmike

Captain

you get on plane quicker cause it priveds lift in the back. your technically not on plane, its just that your boat is flat... have fun trying to take on a wave with your nose flat to the water

Waterproof

Cadet

I am a believer in the fin, I've tried it on two different boats, a 20' wellcraft V-20 deep V, and a 21' flat bottom bay boat. I used the stingray foil. Anyhow what I've found it the ability to stay on plane at a lower speed, which is handy when the water is rough, and a smoother ride. Hole shop may have improved a bit, and there was no decrease in top speed that I was able to detect. In my experience they keep some of the bow lift in check allowing the boat to handle better in almost all circumstances. Good luck!

jfholijr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have to agree with waterproof, my 15ft bass boat with 1975 650 was rather difficult to handle especially at one quarter to midthrottle. At full throttle it was ok except when incountering waves then I would have to back off the throttle and then it was very difficult not too mention the bow would block my view. Since putting the hydrofoil fins on everything improved including gas milage. Even at wot it handles waves better and this stuff about the fins pushing the bow down didn't happen with mine, just the opposite, it raised the bow a little thus improving my wot handling. Now my boat is an extreme pleasure to operate.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to General Outboard