Filling up gas tank

Joenational

Cadet
I have a lil dilemma here, I heard that when filling the tank you shoud pour the oil in first and then let the gas aggitate the oil so it mixs up better. but lets say I go out and burn gas, how do i know what is going to be filled up before i fill the tank up. In other words lets say I put 32 ounces of oil in but only fill up with 4 gallons of gas. Is it ok to pour the oil in after I have gassed up or that isn't good to do. And I do have a gas gauge but #1 they arent that accurate and #2 it doesn't say how many gallons you have left. Thanks for any tips.

mattttt25

Commander
Re: Filling up gas tank

how big is your tank? is it removable? best option is to mix your fuel/oil in a separate tank (maybe 5 gal or so), shake well, vent, and then pour into your boat tank. you'll have the right mixture every time.

Joenational

Cadet

It is a 21 gallaon tank, i dont want to have to do that everytime , I cant just go to a gas station on the water which i did this weekend and fill up there is no trick to this? lol.

AntsGrady

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I mix my gas before I pour it in but 2 stroke tcw-3 is very soluble and should mix with just the pouring of the gas. For piece of mind I mix before I pour.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Stillafloat, It will be hard to "top off" a tank in which you premix. What I do is to estimate how much fuel the tank will take and round down to the next lowest multiple of three gallons. Then add that much oil to the tank and fill it with the proper gasoline amount.<br /><br />If you are not sure how much it will take, do it in three gallon increments (8oz oil/three gal gasoline) until it is filled. If you screw up the last three gal. increment, that will not be too bad on a 21 gal tank!

Joenational

Cadet

Thank you, that is exactly what i was looking for, i was doing in 6 gallon increments and wound up being to large but 3 gallons sound better. thanks.

prockvoan

Chief Petty Officer

Just add the oil after adding your gas.The oil will break down fast and before the oil/gas mixture reaches your motor,you have to burn the fuel that is in the fuel line.That takes a few mins running time.A outboard motor at 1000rpms needs 100 to 1 mixture,at 5600rpms,you need 50/1.So,don't make a big deal of it,its ok to mix after.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

You could also fill your tank until the gas pump first clicks off, then note the gallons it took, then add the appropriate amount of oil to 1 gallon of gas in a portable can, skake well, then add that last gallon to your inboard tank. If you don't top off super high with the dock pump you should be able to pour that last gallon in no problem. <br /><br />Adding the oil after the ffact will work as well.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I normally burn around 25 gallons a trip. I wait until my guage reads around 1/4 (120 gal tank) - hit the gas station - add 1/2 gallon of oil & 25 gallons of fuel. I hardly ever fill up because of the weight of th fuel. The rule of thumb is, I think, 1/3 for going out, 1/3 for getting back and 1/3 for reserve.

starflite115

Cadet

walmart has a cool little oil mixing bottle where you pick your ratio..say 50/1 pick how many gallons you put in the boat and just fill the oil to the correct line. its around 2.50 so its cheap and simple and takes out all the guess work.

Realgun

Commander

Fill up till it clicks off. Use the Mixing bottle to add the correct oil amount then wash the oil into the tank with a splash from the gas hose. Works for me. :) My fill hose is exactly 11 inches long.