Filler for new decking.

Macamato

Cadet
Good evening all you good buddies.

We are progressing in the construction of the Mary E which we plan to use to cruise up the Mississippi River from Guttenburg Iowa to the upper limits of the mavigation channel some where north of the Twin Cities after labor day this fall. This will be our way of celebrating the 50 wonderful years we have been together.

I have described our trip before with a much longer itinneary ( starting on the upper Ohio and going down to the Mississippi and then up the Mississippi.)

A bit of common sense has prevailed and we have shortened our maiden voyage to the one described above for several reasons.

We are now in the process of preparing to install the deck on the pontoon structure and would like some advice on a filler to use to fill the voids in the PT 3/4" plywood we have decided upon based on the advice of one of you good buddies. There arent many, but I feel they should be filled before we put the sealer, adhesive and carpet down.

We purchased the PT plywood last fall and have been air drying it so that it will receive a coat of Zinsser Bulls Eye 123 Sealer - also recommended by a good buddy on this forum.

I hope one of you can reccomend a filler suitable for filling the voids in the plywood, since I feel they should be filled.

We are planning on using outdoor carpet adhesive to seal down the carpet after we get the sealer applied.

Reading some of the other threads, I am a bit confused, for some do not feel this is the best way to apply the carpet.

The carpet we purchased is the 8' 6" wide carpet used by Lowe on their Pontoons. I dont think we will be able to staple it on the underside. However, if I can, I will.

I thought I would use a propane tank as a roller to roll the carpet down onto the adhesive.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank You
Macamato.

P.S. I will attempt to attach a photo of the Mary E as it appeared on Memorial Day.

Attachments

• Mary E May 09.jpg
    Mary E May 09.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 0

Jeep Man

Commander
Re: Filler for new decking.

I hope this is not too late, but I am of the understanding that the chemicals in PT plywood will react with aluminium and cause corrosion. Have you checked this out? Marine grade plywood would be preferable.

Macamato

Cadet

Thank you for your concern Jeep Man.

Yes I have checked this out. It is my understanding that the only problem with aluminium and PT Plywood is where it comes in direct contact with the aluminium.

I am taking precautions necessary to isolate the PT plywood from contact with aluminium.

I am covering all stringers and the back of the bumper angle with duck tape. I am predrilling all holes oversize, pre-painting with sealer and prior to installing the deck screws, injecting silicon caulk into each hole. I am doing the same with the rail mounting screws as well as any other hardware that will be in direct contact with the PT Plywood deck.

The top of the PT deck will of course be isolated from aluminiuim with the combination of deck sealer, carpet adhhesive, and the carpet.

Since it is my understanding that the only problem with aluminium and PT Plywood is where it comes in direct contact with the aluminium, I feel that I am taking the precautions necessary to avoid that condition.

Thanks again for your concern Jeep Man.

Macamato

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Your trip sounds like alot of fun.

My only suggestion would be to get the deck on really really well, it is a major structural member of the boat, get your sheets tight to one another and if you are using screws use ALOT of them, the deck will take a real pounding on your trip.

Through bolting with elevator bolts is preffered but screws will work too if you use enough of them.

We of coarse use 7 ply marine and the voids are filled with something that looks exactly like Bondo sanded flat, it is easy to work with and you are sealing it so it should work out fine.

The duct tape should work but maybe go with 2-3 layers, we use a thin foam tape on all the cross members.

Good luck.

Macamato

Cadet

Thank you 5150ABF.

I will use bondo since I have it on hand and have used it for filling rust pits on a `1936 John Deere B tractor that I rebuilt. Great siggestion good buddy.

I will also use two or three layers of Duck Tape as you suggest.

I have already purchased SS WAF TEK 1/4 - 14X1.5 self taping deck screws. They are similar to those we removed from a Sun Tracker that we purchased for salvage materials. I think they should hold up if installed properly.

Thanks once again for your help and advice.

Sincerely
Macamato

Thank you once again for your help.

Sincerely
Macamatol