filet table

gwman

Seaman Apprentice
I want to build my own dockside filet table. was thinking of buying a sheet of "starboard". Does anyoe have experience working with it? Which thicknes should I use? The table will have short walls on the back and two sides. How should I attach them? SS screws from underside w/or w/o an adhesive?<br />Thanks

NOSLEEP

Commander
Re: filet table

gwman, I would make a table and cover it with<br />galvanized tin.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Starboard is awesome stuff... I work with it frequently... Very easy to cut, sand, machine, router, whatever... All you need are regular woodworking tools... Jig saw, circular saw, router, table saw, tools like that...<br /><br />Attach the sides like you said, with SS screws, just pre-drill all of the holes... There is an adhesive specially for starboard (I think it's made by 3M) but in your case adhesive probably not necessary...<br /><br />Thickness wize, you would be wize to choose 3/4 inch, but you may get away with 1/2 inch if your making a small table, say 24"X24" or so..

gwman

Seaman Apprentice

to "nosleep" - galanized tin? instead of starboard? Why? what are the benefits?<br /><br />Snapperbait - thx. seems lke everyone loves the starboard

NOSLEEP

Commander

I suggested galvanized tin because of its<br />longevity. I've seen many fish cleaning tables<br />all with galvanized tin, never seen one with <br />starboard.Our environment is probably a lot harsher<br />here than yours. Winter is much colder and longer.<br />I think it would last longer and take more abuse<br />than starboard. Just my opinion.<br /><br />It sounds like it would be a"top of the line" good<br />looking table though if it were made out of<br />starboard.

gwman

Seaman Apprentice

Thx to both of you. I'm going wiht the starboard, the table itself is going to be made of cedar posts I have left over from a deck project years back. I have high hopes for this years striped bass - i'm going with a 24" x 48" piece of starboard mounted on the posts and a shelf system below. now if I can only finish this project up and lay a 4 foot fish on it.....