Figured Out Idle...

revjim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My evinrude 1984 70hp, was idling too high. Found out that the lever under the topend wasn't releasing back. It gets stuck there. I guess there are two options...pull off the top end or it is a stretched cable. When I push it forward and then back, manually it does fine. COULD this be a stretched control cable?? Thanks.

MERIT6419

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Figured Out Idle...

A Cable That Old Could Easily Be Strecthed Does It Have Any Adjustments To It?

revjim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yeah...i tried to adjust it all the way down, but when I pull the throttle back it won't click that lever back at the top...i guess i need a new cable...

fishjnky

Recruit

i had the same problem a few days ago. took the cowling off and noticed the timing advance was not working properly. problem was between the remote and the timing advance. they both needed a shot of wd-40 which they probably have never had. took old girl to the north end of the lake for some goose hunting and she ran like a charm.

D

DJ

Use white lithium grease-sparingly. WD-40 has very little lubricating characteristics.

Benny1963

Lieutenant

the delrin ring on timer base gets trashed up from spray lubes
if it continues pull fly wheel and timer base remove and clean delrin ring
use some graphite spareingly and lube all contact points in throttle and advance assembly

revjim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

so would you first pull fly wheel and lube the inside of that or do you think it is a stretched throttle cable???