Ficht Rebuild Opinions

bucky4

Seaman Apprentice
I have a '97 150 Ficht with a "weak" cylinder. This is the second time it has gone down - first time with only 80 hrs on it. This second powerhead went with about 150 hrs. on it. Fortunately, the first repair was covered under warranty. I'm not so lucky this time.<br /><br />When it runs, it is a great motor, which is why I'm having a hard time deciding what to do with it. It also cost me a small fortune when I bought it and that is another reason I'm undecided about junking it. <br /><br />I really can't afford a new motor and I'm a bit gun shy about a used one, so what would you guys do? Is it worth rebuilding? Why or why not? <br />If you would keep it, would you replace the powerhead with a new one or rebuild the old? (I don't think there's major damage; it still has about 45 psi. in the suspected cylinder.) Thanks for you opinion. <br />Jim

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Ficht Rebuild Opinions

It doesn't matter if you replace the powerhead or rebuild the one you have. If you dont figure out what caused both issues, it'll happen again.<br /><br />Lots of the early 97's were repalced under warranty with full dressed newer style powerheads. It sound slike you still have the old style.<br /><br />In one respect they're just like any other motor -- if you don't fix the cause, you're asking for a repeat performance.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

In my opinion the cause is incomplete development of the product.<br /><br />My SIL blew up two '97 Ficht 150s, one of them twice, before he gave up and went to a carbed 150 (also a '97). The carbed engine has given him 6 years of faithful service. . .so far.<br /><br />Rebuilding it again would be a waste of bux. Trade it for a carbed engine, a reliable DFI engine or an EFI 4 stroke. Doesn't have to be new, just not a 90s Ficht.

bucky4

Seaman Apprentice

I'm almost certain excessive carbon killed the first powerhead. I took the motor to a dealer for a software and hardware upgrade in the spring of '98. As part of the upgrade, I was told the oil return line check valve was replaced. Well, the dealer installed it backwards and the first time I ran it, all the oil was pumped into the motor. You should have seen the smoke!!!<br /><br />I ran it less than a quarter mile, but used over a gallon of oil. I didn't know about decarbonizing and was never informed of this by the dealer, so it wasn't too much longer afterwards that the motor went bye-bye. Surprizingly, the dealer did admit he installed the check valve in reverse, but the idiot never even apologized. <br /><br />I had to fight with OMC to replace the powerhead because it was technically out of warranty (only 1 yr warranty back then); however, they replaced it with an original design 97, not the newer style like Dhadley mentioned earlier. <br /><br />After that incident, the motor was never the same. Even with the new powerhead, it missed from about 1200 - 2800 rpms and fouled plugs like I've never seen. I made numerous calls to no avail to OMC engineers and management, but no one would admit that the engine and fuel injection system was compromised by the excessive oil. <br /><br />I even contacted Bombardier several times when they took over thinking a new company might help, but they flat out told me they were not providing service or support on 99 and older Fichts. Sooooooooooooo, I accepted my situation and hoped that the motor would last. Well, I am living proof of Murphy's Law!<br /><br />Why the it went the second time is anyone's guess because I had been using an anti-carbon additive, thanks to the info on this site and others, and I had just performed my decarbonizing routine of spraying Deep Creep (SeaFoam spray) into the cylinders and letting it sit for a day or so. <br /><br />I must admit though, that I was using standard TCW-3 oil and not using any of the newer XD Bombardier oils; however, this is the oil I had been using since 1999. <br /><br />Anyway, sorry for the long post. It's so frustrating to spend that kind of money and get no help when things go bad. Thanks for the replies.<br />Jim

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

are you failing powerheads every 80 hours?<br />have a look at why power head failed (what do pistons look like?)<br />also which cylinder(S) failed<br />if you cannot determine cause of failure don't repair. YOU MUST FIND CAUSE!<br />check oil lift pump fuel lift pump etc.<br />let us know what pistons look like....rich lean no oil to much carbon etc.<br />ask brp where a dealership is close to you with a qualified tech to help with diagnostic<br />too many time people only fix whats broke not what caused failure

bucky4

Seaman Apprentice

I haven't disassembled the motor yet and won't for some time, but I can tell you #6 failed the first time and #4 is the bad guy now. Also, I'm not failing every 75-80 hours. The second powerhead doubled the life of the first 75 hrs vs. 150 hrs. I'm sure it outlasted first due to the maintenance info gathered at this site, i.e. adding anti-carbon stuff, routine decarbonizing and indexing plugs. <br /><br />I also haven't checked the oil or fuel lift pumps. I've never done that before and don't have a manual, so I'll have to do some site research on checking those.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

No disrespect but if you don't have an OE manual and all -- ALL -- the service bulletins and all the upgrades on that motor and the computer connection you don't want to even try changing spark plugs. Literally.

bucky4

Seaman Apprentice

Your point is well taken Dhadley. I am aware of my limitations. <br /><br />I have performed some minor maintenance items & repairs, like fuel filter, spark plugs :), changed the ECM (or whatever they call it for that year) and a coil pack; however, an engine teardown & rebuild or even the lift pump testing is entirely new waters (pun intended!) for me.<br />I know where I can get a manual, but where does one go to get the service bulletins? <br /><br />BTW, thanks for your post.

tommays

Admiral

Like any big project i would DECIDE FIRST on a budget i could live with.<br /><br /> AND then see if it was feisable to do the job within that budget VS a new or used motor with a bettor track record<br /><br />tommays

whofan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your looking at rebuilding a motor thats going on 10 years old, one that had questionible quality issues when launched. I know money is always an issue but if your boat is nice Id go with another motor possibly new.<br /> Whats the cost of a rebuild vs buying?

bucky4

Seaman Apprentice

whofan,<br /><br />"Your looking at rebuilding a motor thats going on 10 years old, one that had questionible quality issues when launched. I know money is always an issue but if your boat is nice Id go with another motor possibly new."<br />Your point has a lot of merit, but the boat is also 9 yrs old and not exactly showroom condition.<br /><br />My research has shown:<br /><br />- About $3000 if I buy the parts, manuals and do most of the work. (machine shop to bore the powerhead) 1 yr warranty on the parts.<br /><br />- About $4000 to rebuild with a new powerhead, if I do all the work myself. 1 yr warranty on PH.<br /><br />- About $4500-$5500 to have someone else rebuild. 1 yr warranty on PH.<br /><br />- Used 150 Fichts, '01-'04 (the good ones!), are selling for $6000-$8000. Possible warranty of some type depending on where bought.<br /><br />- A new 150 E-Tec is about $12000.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

A new engine does sound like a lot of money next to a rebuild...until you figure how much longer it will last and the future value of your new engine....and that you still won't have solved the initial reason for the breakdown. So you'll still need to spend more money to TRY and find the reason for the breakdown...or rebuild again in a few short years!<br /><br />As it is now, your present engine is worth next to squat. I'd do the minimum to get the piston's pressure up (i.e. hone the cylinder and install new rings...forget reboring it.) and sell it. It shouldn't cost you anywhere near $3000.00 for that and you should be able to get a good buck for your engine at that point.<br /><br />Spend your gain from the sale towards a new engine and finance the rest over the next 5 years. You'll be ahead of the game, have a great engine that idles and runs like a dream, and head ache free...instead of wondering how many hours before the next rebuild. It's the old good money after bad with that Ficht.

Ron G

Commander

As it is now, your present engine is worth next to squat. I'd do the minimum to get the piston's pressure up (i.e. hone the cylinder and install new rings...forget reboring it.) and sell it. It shouldn't cost you anywhere near $3000.00 for that and you should be able to get a good buck for your engine at that point.<br /><br />Sure would hate to be a first time boat buyer.or a young man with a family and on an budget. :rolleyes:

bucky4

Seaman Apprentice

Cobra,<br /><br />As much pain as this motor has caused me, I have to agree with Ron G. I sure wouldn't want someone dumping off their junk on me. My conscious would really bug me if I ever tried to pull a fast one. I guess I'm just too darn honest! <br /><br />However, I am going to look into your suggestion of honing and new rings. Depending on the condition of the interior parts, maybe that's all I really need. Here's hoping!!! <br /><br />Thanks for the post. <br />Jim

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

The word "naive" comes to mind when I read your dribble Ron G. Everytime you go and trade in your car for a new or newer one, someone is going to buy your old heap you traded in. It's expected that the next fella is going to have to lay out some cash to fix it...and probably not long after he's had it because old things break down. I'm saying fix it and get rid of it.<br /><br />Give it as a trade in to the dealer if it makes you feel better. The dealer will automatically figure on fixing costs, give you less money than a private sale, and warrantee it to the next buyer for a number of days/months.

Ron G

Commander

I may be naive,but my conscious would'nt let me sell that to an individual without telling them everthing,and around here i would be seeing them all the time too,as for the dealer trade in thats fine they aint going to give ya nothing for it anyway.I've been hustled 2 or 3 times when i didnt have the money to do the repairs and i was pissed about it,id rather treat people the way i would want to be treated thats all im saying.

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

Part it out on ebay. No worries that way. Put the proceeds into something else. :)

bucky4

Seaman Apprentice

Good point alden. I'll either sell it whole or part it out if I don't rebuild.