Ficht 225 flywheel pain

GeneralVuesJavelin

Seaman Apprentice
I know there are threads out there about this already, but wondering if there are any new or unspoken techniques of getting the flywheel off. So, my question...........How the heck do you get it off the motor?!! I've tried everything in my arsenal to take my old one off, but its like its stuck on there! I've had to tap all three puller holes, broke a puller, 2 sockets, tried heating up the flywheel and shaft...So I'm just wondering what tricks did you do to get the flywheel off? Please, any wise words will do. :confused:

Thanks

Re: Ficht 225 flywheel pain

I've always managed to get it off by putting a good bit of tension on it with a puller and then putting a 2x4 against the bottom of the flywheel and tapping on it with a large hammer, rotate the flywheel 90 degrees and tap, rotate 90 more degrees and tap, etc.

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer

I know there are threads out there about this already, but wondering if there are any new or unspoken techniques of getting the flywheel off. So, my question...........How the heck do you get it off the motor?!! I've tried everything in my arsenal to take my old one off, but its like its stuck on there! I've had to tap all three puller holes, broke a puller, 2 sockets, tried heating up the flywheel and shaft...So I'm just wondering what tricks did you do to get the flywheel off? Please, any wise words will do. :confused:

Thanks

You DID take off the large nut holding the flywheel on first, right? If you have an engine lift, you could lay some tow straps under the flywheel (like a cradle) and have the ends meet into a loop above the flywheel , then place the loop on the engine hoist's end and start hoisting up. The weight of the engine and boat shoudl be too much for the friction of the drive shaft end to flywheel.

I like the other guy's suggestion of 2x4 under flywheel too. Soft enough material to not crack the block (we hope).

GeneralVuesJavelin

Seaman Apprentice

I've always managed to get it off by putting a good bit of tension on it with a puller and then putting a 2x4 against the bottom of the flywheel and tapping on it with a large hammer, rotate the flywheel 90 degrees and tap, rotate 90 more degrees and tap, etc.

I was thinking of that too, but was a little afraid to do it. NO FEAR I guess huh? Thanks.

GeneralVuesJavelin

Seaman Apprentice

You DID take off the large nut holding the flywheel on first, right? If you have an engine lift, you could lay some tow straps under the flywheel (like a cradle) and have the ends meet into a loop above the flywheel , then place the loop on the engine hoist's end and start hoisting up. The weight of the engine and boat shoudl be too much for the friction of the drive shaft end to flywheel.

I like the other guy's suggestion of 2x4 under flywheel too. Soft enough material to not crack the block (we hope).

Yes...I did. HA! This sounds logical, but I think the flywheel is so jammed on that I'll probably just lift the whole boat by doing this. Great thought, however. Thanks.

Any other suggestions????

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer

no more useful suggestions, but do tell us how you eventually get the flywheel off.

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer! Shop Moto!

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Be sure to use a heavy duty puller made for outboards such as the Evinrude one or the one sold by Stubblefield Sales. An automotive harmonic dampener puller or a steering wheel puller is not strong enough.

Another possibility is a sheared flywheel key or someone deformed the flywheel taper by using an impact wrench to tighten down the nut. The nut requires 145 ft. lbs of torque.

GeneralVuesJavelin

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks....You think if its possible to split the key or somehow minimize the size of the key more it'd be easier to take the flywheel off? I wonder if the prior owner did torque it down too much, cause it shouldn't be this hard! Thats probably why the flywheel is missing a few teeth and wrecking my starters and the main reason why I'm trying to take it off right now! Sound logical?

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer

When you do get that flyweel off, mark at the top of the shaft the orientation of the key, so that when the flywheel is back on, you'll be able to tell if the key's slot lines up with your mark on the shaft.

GeneralVuesJavelin

Seaman Apprentice

Great idea! Haven't attempted to take it off again, but going to as soon as I can. Thanks!!!

GeneralVuesJavelin

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks....You think if its possible to split the key or somehow minimize the size of the key more it'd be easier to take the flywheel off? I wonder if the prior owner did torque it down too much, cause it shouldn't be this hard! Thats probably why the flywheel is missing a few teeth and wrecking my starters and the main reason why I'm trying to take it off right now! Sound logical?

Anybody have feedback about this technique?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

If you used Gr8 bolts and washers, they shouldn't have pulled out. Heat and prying under the flywheel are bad. Heat destroys magnetism in the magnets and prying can crack the flywheel. A properly set up puller, loosened flywheel nut, and perhaps a careful rap on hte nut should pop it off, although the tension on the puller may be huge.

GeneralVuesJavelin

Seaman Apprentice

Finally got it off earlier tonight. Just got back from celebrating at the bar. :D

Here's how it went...Decided to go have a cigarette and just stared at the boat thinking of obscenities. Finished the cigarette, said what the hell I'll give it a shot with the 2x4 and sledge. About 10 wacks with the hammer the 2x4 was toast. Tried to see if there's another way of trying to pry it off. Fortunately, the flywheel is about half an inch thick and gave me enough surface to use a crowbar. Tucked a 1x2 block of wood between the engine block and crowbar gave it a few good wacks with the sledge. Turned the flywheel, few more wacks. Bam!!!! Flywheel pops up and off the stator. Woohoo!!!!!!!!!! This all took me about 20-30 mins including the cigarette. Slapped on the new flywheel and off to the bar I went.

Although I know this wasn't the standard and recommended way of taking it off but it worked over what was recommended. If you're having a hard time with your flywheel and hopefully not, give this a try only as a last result. And good luck. Thanks to all who chimed into this thread. Much appreciated.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

When you run the motor after torquing down the flywheel nut correctly, watch closely for any wobbling around the sides of the flywheel just to make sure that you did not bend or deform anything while hitting it.

GeneralVuesJavelin

Seaman Apprentice

When you run the motor after torquing down the flywheel nut correctly, watch closely for any wobbling around the sides of the flywheel just to make sure that you did not bend or deform anything while hitting it.

Already have last night. No wobble or play in shaft. That was the first thing I checked after torque since that was the only thing holding me back from attempting in the first place. Thanks for the the reply.

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer

Did you find anything out of the ordinary that would have caused the flywheel to be stuck? Was the key boogered up and not lined up withthe groove in the flywheel?

Last edited:

GeneralVuesJavelin

Seaman Apprentice

Did you find anything out of the ordinary that would have caused the flywheel to be stuck? Was the key boogered up and not lined up withthe groove in the flywheel?

No, sorry nothing exciting. Just ridiculously outrageously frustratingly difficult to get off.