Fiberglass Fix

cwhite6

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a Carolina Skiff J16 and I need to fix a small (around 1/4") hole in the boat. What is the best way to go about this? Is there a kit similiar to Bondo kits that will have all the stuff in it to fix it? Thanks!

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Fiberglass Fix

where is the hole at?

is it a place that gives the boat structure?

If it is, buy a $50 fiberglass patch kit, with resin, and cloth, just paint the cloth on with the resin.

Or just use bond-o. that is pretty much fiberglass, i think it has glass in it.

cwhite6

Petty Officer 1st Class

It is in the very front of the boat under the lip. I accidently drilled the hole while mounting a trolling motor. It is not part of the structure support.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

Just use bond-o, and sand it down when dry.
Paint if looks count for you.

mphy98

Lieutenant

I would not use bondo as it will soak in water, use fiberglass resin and do it right. if you need just a smidge go to any auto body shop and i am sure they will give it to you for that small a hole. for 5 bucks i will bet they willfill it for you. bring your boat.

cwhite6

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can you buy fiberglass kits with the resin in them?

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

yea, it has about a pint of resin, with a yard or so of cloth with it. Just mix and paint in on the cloth. But they cost about 40 - 50 bucks. I don't know how big the hole is, it may be overkill.

I did not know that bond-o will soak up water.

KurtG

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd go to a marine store and buy a $10 gel coat PASTE repair kit. You likely don't need glass for such a small hole.