FiberForm buy?

BigDiesel

Seaman Apprentice
A local merchant has a 1980 21 ft Fiberform that appears to be in excellent condition. There is not a scratch on the hull and the boat has not been re-painted. The seats are original, look like leather, and have not a mar nor the slightest indication of oxidation. Looking at the boat, you would think that it is four or five years old. The I/O engine is a 265 hp V8 with a 280 Volvo outdrive. The engine is original and has 475 hours on it.<br /><br />I really like this boat, but I have found no background information on Fiberform. I know that they are out of business since 1982, but I figure that the engine parts I can find from Chevy and the outdrive is typical. Are there any Fiberform owners or previous owners out there that can share their experiences? I would use the boat on fresh water lakes and resevoirs.

magster65

Commander
Re: FiberForm buy?

Fiberforms were around the Bayliner quality of those years. (i.e. Better than a Reinell but not as good as a SeaRay). I'm not a Bayliner basher. If the boat's been looked after or babied even, I'd buy it. A bunch of neglect would turn even the best boat into junk in no time.

BigDiesel

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Mag. She really looks like she has been babied. From appearances, she is immaculate. There is no bounce in the floor so I do not believe that there is any rot. She was stored in a garage unit during the winter. My only concern is that the engine or outdrive may require work down the line. However, that is to be expected with at 25 yr old boat, right?<br /><br />Another question, in 1980, the boat quality, from poor to best was.... Bayliner, Reinell, Larson, Glaston, SeaRay???

magster65

Commander

The old volvo stuff has proven to be quite durable for the most part and I'm sure there's no problem getting parts for it (if you ever need them). As for best to worst... the smaller boats (off the top of my head and this is only my opinion here), I'd say SeaRay - Larson - Glastron - Bayliner - Reinell. The larger Bayliners seem to be much more refined than the smaller units.

BigDiesel

Seaman Apprentice

Mag, thanks for the input. I understand that it is only YOUR opinion, but it is interesting to note the order that you listed the manufacters. My barber's husband just bought a Reinell and he is so proud. It is a nice looking boat. My neighbor has a Larson and it is super nice.<br /><br />I am curious how others will vote ...

BigDiesel

Seaman Apprentice

Specks,<br /><br />Thanks for the input. I am trying to write this as politely as possible so as to not offend you. Should I fail, please know that it was not my intent.<br /><br />I did not list the price of the boat because it was not relevant to my question. I have already checked www.nadaguides.com and another used boat guide so I have a fair idea of the boat's market value. My question concerned individual operating experiences.<br /><br />Tomorrow I'll know whether my offer will be accepted. Today after work I stopped by to look at the maintence log and this boat continues to impress me. The current owner is just the second owner and he had the motor and outdrive oil changed twice a year. The engine was tuned every 50 hours. I looked at the engine and there is a little rust on the lip of the valve covers, but otherwise the engine is spotless. Granted, they may have steam cleaned the engine before I saw it.<br /><br />Today I visted several boat shops and looked at many boats ... Glaston, Chris Craft, and Reinell ... looking at nothing older than a '91. The newer boats' lines are smoother and their guages are more sleek, but their styling cannot outdistance this Fiberform. If my offer is accepted, I'll take pictures because pictures are worth a thousand words.

magster65

Commander

Buy the boat you like the most that your budget allows. Remember one thing... you'll never kick yourself for buying something better than what you need but you may regret buying something not as nice. It only hurts while you're paying for it and after that it's all good. Happy shopping! :)

denniz

Senior Chief Petty Officer

HYDROSWIFT, I totaly agree with magster onrating boats BY MANUFACTURER from 1-10 he nailed it. PROBLEM is your buying a used boat.