fiber weedguard problem - lure making

drbobp

Seaman Apprentice
I make bass jigs using a Hilts mold that requires a fiber weedguard. These cost about 6 or 7 cents apiece. I found (on the Hilts website) that I could buy a bundle (about 240) for about the same price as 100 finished ones. <br /><br />When I called the company, the man who owns the company (a relatively new buyer) said that they have not been able to figure out how to cut the bundles to length without messing them up. The former owner died (I think that is what he said) and wasn't able to tell them how to cut the bundles.<br /><br />Does anyone out there know how to do this? If so, then maybe we can pass the info on to Hilts Mold Company and get the weedguards cheaper! <br /><br />He said they have tried using hot wires - they melted the fibers, snippers (they don't cut it uniformly enough, and other techniques.<br /><br />Thanks for your ideas.

fatpratt1996

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: fiber weedguard problem - lure making

Are they using a method of bundling the fibers before trying to snip them. I would think that is the only way to snip them. How long are the fibers in the first place? Why wouldn't he be able to order shorter ones in the first place?

drbobp

Seaman Apprentice

When he bought the company he got a bunch of old stock (still good though). He said the bundles may be 5 feet long and the weedguards should be about 1 1/8 inches long. <br /><br />I'm having trouble visualizing these bundles because I have only used the individual weedguards. You can see them at http://www.hiltsmolds.com/FiberPreformsandBundles.htm <br /><br />On the individual weedguards, one end is glued together and the fibers spread out at the other end. I can't understand the bundles being 5 feet long. Maybe someone can explain that to me....I must be a little more dense than normal.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

some kind of quick/chop cutter? something like the<br />old manual paper cutters they use in schools???

drbobp

Seaman Apprentice

That sounds likely...but, how would they get the fibers to stick together on one end and spread on the other unless only one end is glued?

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

they would have to apply a good amount of pressure<br />to the end being glued or melted. pic on site shows<br />a tie though???<br />ever consider just using fat 50lb mono?

drbobp

Seaman Apprentice

I've used the Y-shaped plastic weedguards but haven't tried a heavy mono. We can spread the fiber ones to help keep the hook from catching (when we don't want it to lol). I'm not sure that the heavy mono would work in heavy cover (flipping in logs, etc.)