Fertilizing..

eeboater

Commander
After reading the Garden thread, I have a question for you guys.<br /><br />When do you guys put down grass fertilizer and how often through the summer do you do it? This is my second year doing it (second summer of my life owning a house) and I think I didn't do it right last year?<br /><br />What do you think? Is now a good time to put down the feed? Then what, once every 2 months?<br /><br />Sean

NYMINUTE

Captain
Re: Fertilizing..

Scotts w/ Halts, early spring 30-4-8<br />Scotts Weed and feed , late May<br />Summerizer, mid July<br />Winterizer, mid October.<br /><br />Vigaro brands are also good, I use their equivilent in the rear. Cost effective.

ehenry

Commander

I dont fertilize my grass. I hate cutting it enough as it is. Wouldn't be so bad if I didnt have so dadburn much of it. If I put anything on it I'll put ammonia nitrate on it to green it up and thats about it.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

EE,<br /><br />Might want to aerate the lawn before fertilizing. Also, it's best to water in the morning...<br /><br />The downside to all of this, of course, is higher water bills, and more grass cutting... I guess that's what you gotta do to keep up with the Joneses though. :)

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by efhenry:<br /> I dont fertilize my grass. I hate cutting it enough as it is. Wouldn't be so bad if I didnt have so dadburn much of it. If I put anything on it I'll put ammonia nitrate on it to green it up and thats about it.
Got wifey a beauty rider, personal cd player and a cup holder. 2+ acres later, I hide.

ehenry

Commander

My wife and I have a deal. She dont cut grass. I dont paint. <br /><br />My mowing machine is pretty fast. Its a Scag zero turn Turf Tiger w/27 horse Kawasaki and a 72 inch deck under it. If you mow once a week and keep the blades sharp it'll cut clean as fast is it will run. Its got a little over 475 hours on it and has been an excellent machine.

eeboater

Commander

Yeah, I'm looking for a good lawn this year. None of this patchy semi-green crap. Airate... You can do that in the spring too?<br /><br />Sean

FSHKPR

Ensign

no fertilizer here either. as long as its green i am fine with it. and if the dandelions come well i am a loyal packer fan and green and yellow looks pretty nice too. :D

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm not an expert, but I'd say Airating in the spring is ok. Reason behind it is you're getting more water and oxygen to the roots which as to be good.

fireman57

Captain

I don't worry about the grass. It cuts into my fishing time. Right now this old money making is taking all the time I have to play.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Typically, plants need nitrogen in the spring. That's the first number in the fertilizer designation, i.e. 30-4-8 would be 30 percent nitrogen. <br /><br />The early fall/late summer is the best time to aerate. Also that's the best time to sow grass seed. If you sow it right after aerating, some of the seeds end up in the aerate holes and have a better chance of germinating. <br /><br />The nutrients grass needs at that time are phosphorous and potassium (the next two number in the fertilizer designation), with less emphasis on nitrogen.<br /><br />Your local county agent may be able to help you determine absolute best times for sowing/fertilizing in your particular zone.

JRJ

Commander

My wife uses 16-16-16 once a month :) I mow once a week :rolleyes: But we got rid of 3 acres and now our lawn is real easy to do, and man is it green ;)