Fenders

rrjury

Cadet
I have new fenders (8x20) with holes through the center. What do you recommend to tie off a 1/2" line at the bottom of the fender to prevent it from slipping through the hole.
Thanks in advance

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Fenders

Those type fenders are made to be hung on the horizontal axis. Meaning you run a line completely through them and tie off each end to a cleat or wherever. If you want to hang then vertically make a bunch of knots on the bitter end if the rope and hope your knot tying abilities are still good. Better off just buying a pair that have the single point at one end - West had some on sale - a four pack for something like $30.00.

Bondo

Staff member

A simple overhand knot will hold them......

PhatboyC

Petty Officer 1st Class

You will need more than one overhand knot. 3 weeks ago a buddy has the Taylor Big B 8"x20" fenders and the 1/2 rope went through when he was lifting the fender higher between the boats.

I am in the process of purchasing all the equipment for our new boat. I'm thinking of going with 3/8 for fender rope. This way I will have more room on the cleats when attaching the rope holding the boat. Either that our doing like my cousin (also a new boat owner). He will buy 20' of 1/2 rope for his fender and use the same rope to hold his boat. This way he only attaches once on each cleats when docking or rafting up. What you guys think?

QC

Supreme Mariner

I am just glad somebody called it a fender . . . :rolleyes:

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

I've got 6 of the 8x20's on my boat with approx 7' 1/2 lines on each that run up to an adjuster that clips on the railing. I only have single knots on the lower end and only one time had a knot that came part way up inside the fender and that was because it was too low on air. Fortunately I could grab the knot with a pair of long needle nose and pull it back down otherwise it would have been a biotch!

gdombroski

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have 8 of those and have attached them directly to the dock about 1 1/2' apart. 4 on each side single rope using insulated cable stables. Sure makes docking easier when rough. Have other ones but never use them since I mostly dock at the same place.