FEMA's Michael Brown hands over disaster

KRS

Banned
Brown is handing over relief duties to Coast Guard Vice Adm. Thad Allen, who earlier this week was named Brown's deputy to oversee relief and rescue efforts.<br /><br />I hope this effects a change for the positive and these people can begin getting the help they need.<br /><br />I can only speculate that President Bush placed a heavy pressure on him to step aside.

ehenry

Commander
Re: FEMA's Michael Brown hands over disaster

That guy needs to resign. He failed miserably if he doesn't Bush needs to fire him.

txswinner

Banned

Now the Head of the Homeland Security Dept. needs to go. This is a time to proud of our President.

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have no doubt the Coastie will make it happen - afterall - that's what they're all about.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Give it a rest, gents. You DO NOT KNOW what happened. Neither does the media.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I agree JB, lets stop this blame game, its getting boring<br /><br />Ken

KRS

Banned

Not blaming... I have had my fair share of homeland security training and response training... I made this post to state that I was hopeful that more action would be taken.<br />.<br />Over the last 5 years, almost all of the DHS spending that I have seen has been WMD and terror-related.

KRS

Banned

What do the armchair experts think anyway.... that the FEMA chief's job application should have a question like: Have you ever handled an emergency response when a town was flooded because levies broke and a hurricane passed by, check Yes or No?<br />.<br />The fact is there is no one to blame, I am stating that I hope this change (like any other change) is a positive for those who are the victims.

crab bait

Captain

i guess we'll all find out the facts when the movie comes out ..<br /><br />sly stone ,sam l jackson, gene hackman

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Brown had no previous political or disaster relief experience.He used to be commissioner of the international arabian horse breeding association.<br />His appointment to the job was not based on the power of his resumee in disaster relief.<br />You can blame the local people for not knowing what on earth they were doing and you are right that they performed poorly, but then again their specialty is running a city.<br />Brown was supposed to know how to act in emergencies and disasters.<br />At least he has the decency to step aside,which is more than most politicians would do.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

FEMA director Michael Brown being sent back to<br />Washington; Homeland Security Director Chertoff to announce new leader for on-the-ground Katrina relief efforts, senior administration official says.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by azfyrfyter63:<br /> What do the armchair experts think anyway.... that the FEMA chief's job application should have a question like: Have you ever handled an emergency response when a town was flooded because levies broke and a hurricane passed by, check Yes or No?<br />
very close to what it should be. How about "discuss your disaster recovery experience."<br /><br />Apparently it does have the question: "Are you a lawyer with experience raising Arabian horses?"<br /><br />actually I'm 100% with ya on this one.<br />Did you hear this report, including an interview with a jhawk crew?<br /><br />Did I mention my opinion that Brown ought to be allowed to pursue opportunities for which he his better suited (translation: show him the door, can his a55, make him redundant, pick slip, etc.).<br /><br />And [putting on the helmet & flakjacket for protection from the Bushbackers] Mr. Bush ought to known better than to say (rather, have Cherkoff say) that Brown was needed for other FEMA responsibilities. That's my opinion & I'm stickin to it.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I really dont think Brown"handed" the job off. I rather suspect he was told to pack sand. Chertoff was rather gruff at that press conference.<br /> I have never seen Chertoff do much either. but its something that will sort itself out sooner or later.