fema/gov/ insurance/relief money

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: fema/gov/ insurance/relief money

Probably when one can get back to their property and be lucky enough to get an adjuster to their place. Probably a few months, at best.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

In the mean time what will happen to most of the displaced folks, with no jobs, and having to live in provided shelters?<br /><br />there are those who fled the storm and took refuge in hotel rooms in other cities and states, what will become of them when their money runs out?

crab bait

Captain

my exact thoughts ELMER.. my exact thoughts<br /><br />i guess it paid to heed the evac.. an bring with what they could..<br /><br />i think about the yearlings, sick an old that stayed an need meds/co-2/kidney di.ect ..

PW2

Commander

I have no idea, but most private insurers don't cover flood damage, but only cover "storm" (i presume that means wind) damage. Flood damage is only covered by federal flood insurance.

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would imagine that the AstroDome will become a giant hospital with every single medical resource available as they can provide it. There's no way to predict how people will be able to continue with their lives, the storm only hit two days ago.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

I think this is an opportuntity to show the american spirit. We have been faced with so many tragedies in the past few years. I am confident that despite the enormity of the damage. Our people are generous and giving. Watch the outreach in the next couple of weeks. <br />Setting up MASH type hospitals will be the first order of busness and family and friends (family you get to pick) will have to give a hand and more like two.

Link

Rear Admiral

This is going to be very far reaching. I was just thinking the same thing Elmer. <br />Trying to put myself in their place and how I would be able to handle it. Scarey to say the least.<br />PW2 I sure hope thats not the case, but it is sure a valid point you make.

PW2

Commander

Check with any insurance agent you know, preferably the one that carries your homeowner's policy. See if flooding is covered. I doubt it.<br /><br />Water damage from broken pipes may be, or perhaps a flooded basement from a broken pipe may be, but not run of the mill flooding.<br /><br />And I don't know how they will deal with any that did buy the flood insurance if they cover people even if they didn't.<br /><br />I'm not against it, mind you--I'm all for helping everyone possible--but I'm not sure how they would do it.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I think I heard FEMA will cut you small checks for living expenses as long as you can prove you come from an evacuated area.<br /><br />Ken

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

When our area got hit my that freak ice storm in January. It took about 3 to 6 months before getting the funds released from FEMA. <br /><br />Insurace agents were on the scene a few days later after all the roads and power lines were removed.<br /><br />I'm sure the agents for this disaster is headed there in droves to help get immediated relief for those covered.

LadyFish

Admiral

Help and assistance is pouring in from all over the US. The UK and Germany have also extended a helping hand.<br /><br />People are opening up their hearts and pocket books just as they did for 9-11.<br /><br />The insurance companies currently have 100's of adjusters waiting to get into those claim areas. There are also many, many volunteers ready and waiting to assist with the cleanup. Our government has stepped in, the Army, Navy, Marines, National Guard and every Red Cross and Salvation Army in the region is doing what they can to help out.<br /><br />The insured will recover from their personal property losses. They may not have jobs for some time since many business have been destroyed which creates another short term problem.<br /><br />The people we really need to help are those who had no insurance and lost everything. Those are the people that are displaced for a longer period of time. No possible way to earn a living, or even get to work with virtually every automobile in the area a total loss and the fact that they have been taken 100's of miles away from their homes.<br /><br />I wonder myself how long can we feed and house these unfortunate people, but from what I see here in Texas, we will foster them as long as it takes. I'm proud of what we are doing to lend a hand. Sometimes it takes a disaster to bring out the best in people. I don't know anyone even in our small little town that isn't doing something even if its going through their closets and donating clothes. <br /><br />Here on the island, even our animal shelter is even asking us to foster pets for storm victims, the kennels are filling up fast. We would foster an animal until people can either get back into their homes or relocate. I think its a great gesture.<br /><br />This is a time for all of us to help right here at home doing whatever we can to make life livable and ease some of the heartache for the victims of this disaster.

gonefishie

Commander

I got up this morning and a local radio station was urging people to send donation to the local red cross and on the memo part put NDRF (national disaster relief fund). I put a check in the mail for 100 bucks before heading to work, not much but that all I can spare right now.<br />Also, I can host a couple of cute single ladies for a while until they get back on their feet. ;)