fee to replace gimbal ring

loghomer

Seaman
ok all you mechanics out there...my gimbal ring is cracked on a 1976 255 hp mercruiser. I have already found and bought a used one. How much can I expect to pay to have it done? I ask this because one mechanic told me it was a 4 hr job, another told me it was an 8 hour job, and yet another told me it was a 10 hour job.I have read about the procedure to try to do it myself...but I know better thanks

loadnet

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: fee to replace gimbal ring

After reading How To Replace Gimbal Ring over at the mercstuff.com site..<br /><br />I'll wing it at a 6 hour project X whatever rate 'the mechanic you bring it to' charges.<br /><br />I've never replaced just the ring but have replaced the (complete) gimbal housing itself which required my having to remove the whole goofy engine.<br /><br />I wish I knew you needed one, I have one here I would have given you for 0. :( <br /><br />My gimbal housing had a rot hole in it but the ring was working just fine.<br /><br />Good luck to you.

loghomer

Seaman

Capnhookeninfinger<br /><br />Thanks for your info. I wish I had heard from you about 3 weeks ago lol

loadnet

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah Loghomer the thing is just laying out here in my yard now.<br /><br />Got a complete Gimbal I could've given ya, minus some rotted metal in the side of the housing. ;) <br /><br />oh well.. you take care now.