Favre and Katrina

Pony

Rear Admiral
I just thought i'd share a good story about this national disaster. If you haven't heard Favre's press conference, if you can listen to it. I just heard that he and some other players on the team are going to fly to Mississippi after the game and help out wherever they can. I also heard that the Packers are going to load up their team plane with generators and other supplies as well. Im sure other teams and players may be helping, but i wanted to Favre some props for stepping up and showing just why he is a better person that he is player...if you can believe it.

eeboater

Commander
Re: Favre and Katrina

Very cool. I'm in KS right now on a business trip but while I was at lunch yesterday I saw he was doing a press conference. I was wondering what was going on but they had the sound down so I couldn't tell.<br /><br />Its official -- he's turned into a Wisconsinite; always willing to lend a helping hand.<br /><br />Sean

txswinner

Banned

Pony85, I agree but about an hour ago I was in an oilfield supply store and mentioned it to some of my friends and they explained it was nothing but a publicity stunt. If it were for his mother and the publicity he would have done nothing.<br /><br />I told them they had all lost their minds and they laughed and said "You are the liberal guy who thinks everyone who helps is a goodie goodie.<br /><br />Know what, I am glad they feel that way. Way to go BRETT FAVRE and everyone should listen to his interview.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

One of the good guys, even if he is a Packer.

D

DJ

Oh!<br /><br />I can think of some "good one's" that have the word "packer" in them. ;) :D

eeboater

Commander

Originally posted by txswinner:<br /> If it were for his mother and the publicity he would have done nothing.
Wow!!! those people sound pretty cynical!!<br /><br />Sean

skeeterboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

yea favres family had a home in LA and it was destroyed so thats the reasoning behind it. Still great to see people helping out this horrible tragedy. they need all the resources down there they can get.

txswinner

Banned

It may have been in Miss. not that it matters. All the stars come out for the tsunami now it is time for fundraising for our own. I hope Streisand is the first. Not an attack Streisand troll so pls just leave it at that.

Pony

Rear Admiral

If it were for his mother and the publicity he would have done nothing.<br /><br />
Must be some pretty uninformed people. I dont think Favre has ever been one to try to get publicity. Prolly more like the opposite. It would be impossible to prove that pont they make....since the fact is it was his family invovled and we can't change that.

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No two ways about it, Brett Favre is a class act. <br /><br />Think about it txs, he does not need publicity, good or bad. Everybody around the NFL, and I'm sure it extends outside of the NFL, respects him. He could have stayed in GB and not one person would have thought less of him. Simply put, he needs no publicity to be a hero in many people's eyes. He is one of the NFL's good guys.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Yes he did it for the publicity. Not for him, but for the cause, to get people moving in the relief effort, to call out his comrades and get the ball rolling.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by DJ:<br /> Are they taking any CHEESE? ;) :D
They certainly could use the CHESSEHEADS to float on! :p <br /><br />Motives?? Who knows. Not mine to judge. But if you had influence, and something like that happens to your old stomping grounds, might you try to use your "influence" to motivate action by others??

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Publicity? What kind of image problem does Brett Favre have? Does he really benefit from publicity? I don't think so. <br /><br />The team has a PR office that issues press releases about it, good for them, like somebody mentioned, it's good for the cause, positive role model, that sort of thing. It's good for everybody.<br /><br />I don't know (or care) whether Favre enjoys the publicity or not; I bet a month's salary that he's doing it 'cause it's the right thing to do.<br /><br />Now, somebody like Raphael Palmiero might do it for the publicity, but I wouldn't criticize him for it...he needs some good press right about now.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I think every pro athlete needs to dig deep and give back some of those millions.<br /><br />Ken

Pony

Rear Admiral

"I think every pro athlete needs to dig deep and give back some of those millions."<br /><br />Ken
I agree completely.....oh wait but doesnt T.O. desearve HIS money. [Warrick Dunn apparently is calling out to all NFL players to donate some of their signing bonus etc]<br /><br />These guys make enough money that if they are responsible with it their grandkids are pretty much set for life.....If a had an extra million around i toss it in the bank and just watch it grow interest for 20 years....not spend it on hummers, jewelery anf mansions like most of these guys do.