Fathers Day debacle

madmarlin

Seaman Apprentice
Hi Guys I have a mid 90's model 25 HP Mercury pull start. Went to go fishing on Fathers day motor started fine went 20 meters from boat ramp and handed to my son to drive whilst I threw the cast net. Son not being very good at driving reveved the **** out of motor in reverse and got a bit of water over the stern and motor died and now wont start. I have removed plugs and cleaned them. Am getting spark on both plugs have tryed to start with fuel disconnected in case of flooding. Don't think motor got water in anywhere. When trying to start, with choke on, after a few pulls it will give huge back fire then nothing again. Anyone have any ideas as am not sure where to start now.

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Fathers Day debacle

Tossing ideas...

If you have good spark, try helping it along with WD-40 or seafoam into the spark plug holes, or a fuel mixture sprayed directly into the carbs as a test.

You might also want to check the flywheel key (if it has one). Backfires are sometimes a symptom of bad timing which could be a result of a sheared flywheel key, loose magnet, etc.

I'm not sure what damage over-revving could cause unless it went ballistic and tossed a rod bolt or worse. Everything appear normal in regards to piston motion when you peek in the spark plug holes and rotate the flywheel?

madmarlin

Seaman Apprentice

yeh all looks fine with pistons, flywheel key may be a factor as motor did seem to spin freely for a few pulls then seemed to grab again. Will give wd-40 a try.

madmarlin

Seaman Apprentice

Well have removed flywheel and key is sheared, Question now is how do I replace flywheel and get timing right.

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

With a new replacement key, you should find that it only assembles one way. As a result timing will be back to normal. That is good news. Hope it works out.

madmarlin

Seaman Apprentice

Hi guys finally got around to fitting flywheel key and motor started no worries thanks for all the help

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

Glad to hear it. Go catch some fish with your son.

fishhook

Cadet

can you tell me how to remove the flywheel? been trying to remove mine but can not.

j442w30

Petty Officer 1st Class

you need a flywheel puller and a large wrench. You can usually find pullers cheap on ebay.