Fastwin - Charging

papa_Lazerous

Seaman Apprentice
I own a 20HP 1973 Fastwin (thats what I have been advised it is via serial numbers - although a dealer said it was an 18hp :S )<br /><br />Ok here is the question. Under the flywheel there are to sets of coils and I know one generates current to feed the spark via points and coils and the other one feeds the 12v output. The wires from this are yellow. There is one that goes to the plug near where the fuel input is. It is like a cigarette lighter socket. And the other yellow goes to a terminal block where all the other wires are on the engine. I know with the engine running at more than idle it generates voltage. But I also know if I connect this to my battery directly it will cause problems with the battery back feeding when the voltage from the engine is less than the battery or when the engine isnt running and will then fry it. Correct me if I am wrong please.<br /><br />I am of the impression that there has been or should be some kind of voltage regulator or somthing like that somewhere on the engine. If this ios not the case please tell me if there should be something on the wiring loom. I really need to get it chargine. As I get 40-50 starts from the battery and yeah I can hand start it but now I wired in a cabin light and nav lights so a flat battery isnt good<br /><br />Thanks in advance for any advice and if you need any more details then just ask

jfm1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Fastwin - Charging

if this a electric start your battery should hook up to the starter selonoid then to the starter

papa_Lazerous

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Fastwin - Charging

I think you are missing the point of this question,<br /><br />I know how to make the engine start. Connect both wires to the battery and then the solenois switches by connecting to earth.<br /><br />What I was asking was about charging the battery from the engine. and if there is a regulator needed, Well I will re-phrase that I KNOW something is needed. Just dont know what ;)